Chapter 11 - The Garden

Aether gazed at the hand that was offered to him with great reluctance. After the King had made the decision that they should stay for lunch, a maid came from a door on the side. She had gray hair and stood upright as she walked. Her head stayed lowered and her eyes were staring intently at the ground. She did not twitch or move when the King spoke nor did she speak when being addressed. She simply lowered her hand towards Aether indicating for him to take it. It was a polite and expected gesture, but one Aether was currently dreading. He really didn't want to stay for lunch.

"Erik," the King spoke up while Aether reluctantly took the maids hand and stood up. "There are some urgent matters that need to be discussed. Let us head to my study." The King did not wait for his father to respond before he made his way to a door behind the throne.

His father watched the King disappear from view, his shoulders were tense and his eyes narrowed. He clicked his tongue.

"Leon, take your brother to the garden."

Leon faltered at his fathers words. He raised an eyebrow and glanced over at Aether, then back at his father. His face said everything he was not.

Aether thanked the maid and glanced over at Leon and his father, observing their conversation. 'The garden? Why would he send me there?'

The garden, though a nice place to stay hidden, wasn't the ideal location for safety. Even though it may be surrounded by the Palace walls, it was still out in the open. If something were to go wrong or he were to be attacked then he would not have many places to hide. 'Then again, the garden doesn't have many visitors. If I stay there while waiting for lunch then I'm pretty much guaranteed to not run into the Princes.' Aether smiled. The garden was sounding more appealing with every passing second.

He got ready to follow the maid, but Leon did not move from his spot. He stood there staring at their father as if he had grown a second head.

"What is it?" Their father questioned with a look of annoyance.

Leon was quick to respond, "Why the garden?"

Their father froze for a moment and then his annoyance morphed into one of disbelief and then rage. He looked at Leon and with a snarl he pulled Leon by the collar, to the point where their faces were inches apart.

Leon held fast despite his clothes beginning to rip. His face was stoic and calm as he met his father head on, but Aether could see that his legs were shaking ever so slightly.

"Why can't you use that useless brain of yours? If you did, you would have realized that the garden is the only safe place for someone like him. Especially in this hell hole. " he pushed Leon away and fixed his clothes, "Now, go." Their father turned around and left in the same direction the King did.

Aether waited until he could no longer see his fathers shadow before moving.

The maid that had assisted him was no longer at his side, but at the entrance of the throne room waiting for them to come towards her. Aether shot her a reassuring smile even though she wouldn't see it and went to his brother's side waiting for him to come back to his senses. Leon was fixing his shirt, something he had been doing for over a minute now. He frowned as he looked intently at the ground.

They weren't going to get anywhere if this continued.

"Brother?" Aether patted his brother's shoulder lightly, his voice light as he spoke. He hesitated on what to say. "Are, um...Shouldn't we be going to the garden?" Aether internally cringed. He had to admit, it probably wasn't the best thing to say, but he wasn't the best when it came to cheering up siblings. After all, he never had siblings before this.