Chapter 57 - The Hunting Grounds

Authors note: Enjoy! Sorry for the delay!

Aether had seen the hunting grounds from the windows of the Academy. It was nothing special. A simple patch of grass that spanned a couple of miles, reaching from the side of the school to the forest that surrounded the Kingdom. He had only glimpsed at it, thinking nothing of it, after all the hunting competition was never mentioned in the novel.

And yet here he was. Sitting on a chair with Mina and Neal on either side of him, tending to his every need. Of course there were other servants, many servants, his father made sure of that, but they were sent away to set up the tents.

Yes, tents.

Aether was expecting a single tent for lodging, but to the little surprise he had left in his body, his parents had packed over five tents. One large one and four small ones.

The larger tent was like a study of sorts. A giant desk was set up in the middle and a couple of chairs were arranged around it. A large map was being tacked down in the middle with a few small pieces of wood on the side with words written on them. Aether couldn't make out what they said, but he assumed it had to be the names of the participants. Mainly because each piece of wood had a unique color on the bottom, the two being red obviously belonging to Aria and Leon.

The other four tents were their lodgings. His tent was situated in the middle, with his siblings' tents on the side of his and his parents situated right next to him. Guards were stationed around the tents, creating a makeshift barrier. Under their watch no one would be able to enter without his parents knowing.

Including Nox.

Aether was given no chance to talk to Nox before he was dragged away by his father and practically thrown at the Kings feet. The King had a smug look on his face much to his fathers displeasure, and without saying a word he and Nox disappeared into their tent.

The King's tent was like a palace compared to theirs. It was situated on higher ground in the dead center of the field, right in the front. From what Aether had learned the higher of status you were the closer to the King's tent you were. Since the Frenzel family was one of the three top war families in the Soline Kingdom, they had the right to set up a tent right next to the King.

Usually one would be thrilled over the prospect, but it seems his father wasn't so happy with the location this time around.

Aether casually took a sip of tea, watching as the King once again strode over with a smug look on his face and said something to his father, making him burn the paper in his hands. It wasn't long before he was chasing the laughing King away once more.

"You shouldn't be outside." Leon walked up to Aether, he placed his sword on the ground as he attached metal cuffs onto his wrist. Aether eyed the metal cuffs, they were a sterling silver with a small design carved into them. He wasn't surprised to see them. He had witnessed first hand last night his mother polishing the wrist cuffs herself. A scene that he engraved in his mind because he was certain he would never see it again. Aria also had a pair, but unlike Leon's fire design, Aria had flowers.

Aether rolled his eyes at his brother's words. Not letting it get to him. "There is no harm in me being out here." He glanced around, noticing the obvious lack of tents in the giant field, "Besides, there's not even a lot of people here yet."

Leon scoffed, "Just because they haven't arrived yet doesn't mean it's safe to sit out in the open." His words had merit, but his eyes told Aether the truth. Leon was glaring daggers at the tents connecting to the King's. Every now and then Nox's figure could be seen, but as soon as he made eye contact with Aether, he would be dragged away by the King or by one of the servants. Obviously, during the competition he wasn't allowed to mingle with the 'enemy', but Aether was one hundred percent certain that Nox would be stopping to say hi before the start of the tournament.