Chapter 60 - Run

Aether took deep breaths. They had wasted no time in running from the tent the moment they figured out someone had tampered with the spell. As they exited, three guards came from the shadows, surrounding him like a barrier preventing anyone from being able to reach him. He didn't have time to greet them or show his appreciation as Mina pulled him towards the stage where his father and the King currently were. Of course they had to take a different route. If the previous Aethers memories were anything to go by, then that sadistic fucker was still out their waiting for them.

They passed by many people. Some in normal clothes, bloodied and ruined. While others carried weapons and were brutally killing any demonic creature that even made a noise. 'It seems the demonic creatures are leaving the forest.' It made sense, why hunt for food when there was so much food laying out in the open for them. It was a sick idea, but one that demonic creatures were known to go by.

Aether pursed his lips. He narrowed his eyes and tried to focus on Mina running in front of him. It was better to not get distracted. No matter how desperate the cries of help were.

A child's scream of agony came from the right and Aether found himself freezing in his tracks. The path in front of him was bloodied, bodies lay on the ground, dismembered with organs gouged out. The claw marks running down their mangled bodies was enough to tell him how big the demonic creature was.

He took a step forward, 'I can't just let a child die.'

Even though he was in danger, he would not let a child die when he could stop it. He had three elite guards with him. A single demonic creature would be nothing for them. Yeah, he could do this. With his mind made up, he took another step forward ready to go and save the child, but before he could even move towards the bloodied carnage his wrist was gripped harshly.

He glanced back, "Mina?"

She shook her head, "Young Master, we can't."

He frowned, "But-but it's a child! We can't just sit here and let them die!" He tried to yank his hand away, but Mina held firm.

"No. Young Master." She paused, her teeth clenching, "I understand that you are worried, but Young Master forgets. Noble children are trained young to kill, they can handle themselves."

Aether clenched his hands, "But..."

"Trust me, they will be fine." She gently tugged his wrist, "Now, let's go."

He let himself be led away. This-this was too much.

Aether only calmed his mind when he noticed the stage in the distance. He let out a sigh of relief at the sight and started to pick up the pace.

A figure walked in front of them. His laid back demeanor was a stark contrast to the chaos happening around him. He positioned himself so that he was right in front of Aether's path. Two hooded figures appeared by his side, their bulky forms loomed over him like giant beasts that were waiting for the hunt.

Aether went rigid. The young Prince of the Gelani Empire had a bone-chilling smile as he drawled out, "Now, where do you think you are going?" His dull brown eyes glowed an eerie green that pierced Aether's soul.

Aether took a step back, his mouth going dry. He reached out for Mina, gripping her hand like a life line.

"Young Master, stay behind me." Mina bristled. She pulled out a knife and held it in front of her. She stepped in front of him, blocking the Prince's view, "Young Master." she whispered. "We need a different plan."

Aether nodded. He glanced at the three guards around him and then back at the two hooded figures by the Prince's side. Their build worried him and he was unsure what their abilities were, but one thing was for sure, they had no idea who they were up against.