Chapter 96

After seeing the phalanx in the dish, Tang Ning's hand shook, and the spoon hit the edge of the bowl with a clang, attracting everyone's attention. Just as Tang Ning was about to mention the bone in the fish, he suddenly realized he needed to keep silent, and the unspoken words turned into a soft and glutinous "Hmm."

Because of the abrupt halt in his speech, Tang Ning's chest heaved violently, his skin was very pale, and any emotional fluctuation was visible on his face, turning it a shade of embarrassed red.

Lin Yun, who was closest to him, noticed Tang Ning's tightly closed mouth, resembling a resistant clam hiding its soft tongue behind its teeth and lips.

For some reason, the silent Tang Ning seemed even more...

Seeing Lin Yun looking over, Tang Ning, as if finding a savior, quickly pointed at something in the bowl.

Lin Yun diverted his gaze from Tang Ning's face and followed the direction of the slender, pale finger. When he saw what was in the fish soup, his expression darkened, "Why is there a phalanx in here?"

As soon as these words were spoken, everyone put down their bowls and chopsticks, looking warily at the boatman.

The boatman, surprised, said, "What?"

He seemed completely unaware and, upon picking up Tang Ning's bowl and scooping out the content with a spoon, his face changed dramatically, apologizing profusely to Tang Ning and the others.

"I'm sorry! This is really... I'm glad you didn't eat it! How about this, I'll refund half of your meal cost, okay?" As he mentioned refunding half, the muscles on the boatman's face twitched with distress.

"The meal cost is not important, we just want to know what's going on with this piece of bone," Lin Yun said calmly.

"I'm not sure, this, this..." the boatman kept apologizing profusely, "I'll have my old lady make you a new dish!"

"No need, we'll just buy something to eat," the players refused one after another. In unfamiliar scenarios, everyone is cautious about what they eat, especially after finding a phalanx in the fish soup.

The boatman looked very dejected, seemingly feeling a great sense of debt towards the players. At this moment, Lin Yun asked, "Old man, we're here to travel and experience the local customs. I was wondering if there are any festivals or special customs here? If there are, we wouldn't want to miss them."

The system's introduction to this scenario mentioned, "As tourists, be prepared to fully experience the local folk customs of the town." Any information presented in such a scenario introduction is crucial, and following the system's hints could increase their survival rate.

Unexpectedly, when Lin Yun asked this question, the boatman, who appeared remorseful a second ago, suddenly changed his demeanor. He stiffly said, "There's nothing like that here. Whenever you want to eat, just tell me. If you don't want to eat here, I can take you to the neighbors now."

This was probably what happened when you rush to ask NPCs for information without having built up a good rapport first. Lin Yun realized he had been too hasty and softened his tone, "Old man, we've come all the way from afar and just got off the boat. Everyone's appetite isn't great at the moment. Even if a deity were cooking, we wouldn't be in the mood to eat. Besides, the food from the neighbor's might not necessarily be better than yours."

The boatman's expression softened a lot, "You all must be tired from the long journey, you and you—" he pointed at Lin Yun and Tang Ning, "You two can stay at my place, I'll show you the rooms now."

Then he turned to the other six players, "If you're not staying at my place, whoever brought you here, you stay at their place. They're all next door, you can go look for them yourselves."