Chapter 67

."Oh, Han Yuen!" Uncle Wang rushed to the hanging corpse. He climbed onto the stool beneath the lifeless body, reaching out to bring it down. However, the rope was tied too tightly, almost embedded in the flesh. Wang struggled for a while but couldn't loosen it. Holding the grim-faced Han Yuen, he shouted to the players below, "What are you all standing around for? Come and help me get him down!!!"

His voice, overly excited, caused the corpse he held to sway with the tremor of his tone.

Han Yuen's neck was thoroughly broken, the bones seemingly shattered inside, only wrapped in the outer layer of skin, keeping the head connected to the body.

As the corpse trembled, the head swayed slightly, bloodshot eyes carrying the last fear of his life scanned every silent player.

All players stood silently in the memorial hall, quietly witnessing this eerily familiar scene, almost the same dialogue, just with the names changed for the deceased players among them.

Players like Ji Ke, Lin Yun, and Tang Ning, who had seen another side of Uncle Wang, felt a deeper sense of unease and fear.

Tang Ning stared fixedly at the hemp rope around Uncle Wang's ankle. He had clearly tied it before; did it become loose?

"What's wrong with you people? Yuen was your brother! You're just standing there, are you even human?!" Uncle Wang condemned urgently and sorrowfully. "Such a young person, how could he leave so abruptly, just like Master Tang?"

Amidst his cries, a group of villagers streamed in, the lively ones from the countryside, discussing Han Yuen's death. Various comments echoed in the memorial hall, ranging from "Such a young life, truly a pity" to "I wonder if he had a wife, if he left anything for his family." The buzzing discussions filled the hall, like flies circling a decaying corpse.

Tang Ning felt a bit dizzy, hastily taking a small step backward, his body colliding with someone's embrace.

"Cough, cough." A raspy cough echoed behind Tang Ning.

All the hushed whispers suddenly vanished at that moment, the silence arriving too abruptly, as if an invisible glass cover had silenced the buzzing flies.

Ji Lianyan stepped out from behind Tang Ning, standing by his side. He slowly lifted his head towards the hanging Han Yuen. A trace of sorrow appeared on his frail, sickly face, and he sighed gently, "Such a young soul, a tragic loss."

Speaking with compassion, his tone was light, complemented by a face that revealed minimal emotion, oddly appearing detached.

Even the grieving Uncle Wang, who was shouting moments ago, fell silent and stared at Ji Lianyan while standing on the chair.

"Aren't you going to help?" Ji Lianyan glanced at the other players.

Under his scrutiny, Lin Yun and Ji Ke shivered, immediately stepping forward to assist Uncle Wang in removing Han Yuen's body.

Ji Lianyan stood weakly beside Tang Ning, observing them handling the remains as if he were an outsider. Under his gaze, Uncle Wang remained quiet throughout.

The well-meaning villagers refrained from excessive chatter this time. Everyone efficiently and silently placed Han Yuen's corpse on a wooden bed since he hadn't prepared a coffin for himself. A simple covering with a white cloth sufficed.

Next to the pitch-black coffin, another wooden board appeared, outlined by the white cloth in the shape of a stiff figure. Two people, dying the same way, resting in the same place—though eerie and absurd, none of the villagers found it frightening or strange, as if it were entirely expected.