Chapter 50

"You must have seen it wrong," Ji Lianyan murmured.

Was it his illusion?

Or was Ji Lianyan so fearless that even ghosts dared not reveal themselves in front of him?

Tang Ning looked at the deep well. At this moment, Ji Lianyan filled the bucket on the pole without joining him to look. Tang Ning stared at the rippling surface of the ancient well, and in his mind, his own face submerged in the well water surfaced.

Vaguely, he saw his own reflection in the water.

The pitch-black well looked like a monstrous mouth, ready to devour him skin and bone at any moment.

Fear flooded over him like a tide. Tang Ning was intensely uneasy for a moment. He kept breathing deeply to calm himself, inhaling air in large gulps. However, the oppressive feeling in his chest only increased, like a big stone weighing on him.

"Why are you still staring at this well?" Ji Lianyan had already lifted the pole with the bucket full of water, swaying slightly. Tang Ning turned to look at Ji Lianyan. Red lanterns hung on the trees around them, and the light fell on the water. At first glance, it seemed like blood droplets rippling in the water, or two heads hanging in the air, swaying.

The face on those heads suddenly turned into Tang Ning crying, then instantly transformed into Ji Lianyan smiling.

Tang Ning couldn't help but take a step back. The swaying heads turned back into an ordinary water bucket. The dim light from the red lanterns illuminated Ji Lianyan's picturesque face. Ji Lianyan looked at Tang Ning with some concern, "Are you okay?"

Tang Ning blinked. Ji Lianyan was still that good-looking Ji Lianyan, and the water bucket remained just a regular water bucket. Perhaps he was too nervous, causing hallucinations.

Tang Ning recalled reading on a forum about players with low courage experiencing a drop in sanity after one or two missions, associating everyday things with terrifying images. The red light around them, especially the red lanterns carried by people like the paper bearers he encountered before, contributed to this loss of sanity.

Tang Ning surveyed the surroundings, looking at the red dots in the darkness. When he first entered the village, every household had red lanterns hanging. Initially, Tang Ning thought it was because of his upcoming marriage to Ji Lianyan, and the villagers had hung red lanterns for atmosphere.

But now, thinking about it, something seemed off.

Why would an entire village hang red lanterns just because one household was getting married?

Not only on the houses but also on the trees, red lanterns hung, emitting an eerie red glow in the pitch-black night.

"Ji Lianyan," Tang Ning asked cautiously, "Why is your village filled with red lanterns?"

"Because our village had a temple fair recently, and every household hangs red lanterns to seek protection from spirits," Ji Lianyan explained to Tang Ning.

"A temple fair?" Tang Ning was unfamiliar with the concept.

"Yes, it's lively. Villagers participate, each family contributes offerings. We perform rituals during the day, and at night, we walk around the village with lanterns," Ji Lianyan explained, resting after taking a step with the water-filled pole.

"Do you also carry lanterns around the village?" Tang Ning doubted Ji Lianyan could keep up with the pace.

"I rest at home and don't participate in these activities," Ji Lianyan replied, resting in place before preparing to continue carrying water. Tang Ning quickly offered, "Let me help you carry."