Chapter 61

Tang Ning and Grandpa Ji locked eyes for a while. Tang Ning whispered, "Can I refuse?"

Exhausted, not just physically but with everyone he could rely on in a state of unconsciousness, Tang Ning felt a tiny bit of security. Right now, all he wanted was to place Ji Lianyan in the coffin and then lie down himself, holding Ji Lianyan through the night.

Coffins were terrifying.

Yet, for Tang Ning, sleeping in a bed was scarier than sleeping in a coffin.

Most importantly, the idea of calling spirits sounded horrifying.

Grandpa Ji silently gazed at Tang Ning, his aged face carrying the scent of twilight in the dim light. Murky eyes stared fixedly at Tang Ning with a chilling determination.

Tang Ning took a small step back, fearing that the unpredictable Grandpa Ji might do something crazy if he refused.

Under Tang Ning's uneasy gaze, Grandpa Ji did something beyond Tang Ning's expectations—

He kneeled.

"What are you doing?" Tang Ning was completely stunned. He had anticipated scolding, hitting, or Grandpa Ji throwing himself on the coffin to prevent him from putting Ji Lianyan inside. However, the last thing he expected was an old man to suddenly kneel down.

"Tang Ning, Ji Ke's time is truly up." Two lines of teary streaks flowed down Grandpa Ji's face. "I beg you, save him!"

Tang Ning wanted to help Grandpa Ji stand, but he had no strength and nearly stumbled to the ground himself.

Facing the ghosts and trying hard not to cry, Tang Ning's eyes turned red in a moment. The flickering candlelight cast shadows on his face. He wiped away tears with the back of his hand, resembling a bullied child with nowhere to turn, crying and saying, "But who will save me?"

Tears fell from his face, landing on the uneven ground, creating a dark ring. He wanted to become strong, brave, unafraid of anything, able to find solutions to any difficulty. Yet, he still couldn't discern whether Ji Lianyan's words were true or the words of an old man were genuine.

Grandpa Ji seemed startled by Tang Ning's momentary breakdown, struggling to articulate his pleading words.

Tang Ning, feeling embarrassed for letting himself cry, wiped away the tears from his face. With a lingering sob in his voice, he promised, "Alright, stop crying. I will do my best to bring him back."

Once, Ji Ke had carried him all the way; now it was Tang Ning's turn to bring Ji Ke back.

Grandpa Ji stared at Tang Ning in disbelief.

"Help me put Ji Lianyan in the coffin." Tang Ning, observing Grandpa Ji's reaction, added earnestly, "Don't worry, I won't go back on my word."

Grandpa Ji slowly stood up at Tang Ning's words, and together they lifted Ji Ke out and gently placed Ji Lianyan inside.

Standing beside the coffin, watching the struggling Ji Lianyan, Tang Ning took his hand. Just like in exams when he would rub his face against a lucky charm for good luck, Tang Ning pressed his face against Ji Lianyan's palm.

Ji Lianyan's hand was broad enough for half of Tang Ning's face to fit inside.

It felt cool.

Tang Ning rubbed his cheek against Ji Lianyan's palm, exhaled onto it, and said sincerely, "You better watch over me—"

"After all, considering our current relationship, once I bring you back, I'll have a husband."

Referring to himself as a husband felt a bit odd to Tang Ning, and he furrowed his brow, changing his statement, "You'll become a widower."