Chapter 62

Tang Ning was stunned by the scene before him.

Was this the underworld?!

The impact, stronger than encountering ghosts, left Tang Ning's mind blank. It felt as if the clay statue worshipped in the temple suddenly descended and stood before you, speaking.

No, not like, it was a fact.

A handsome emperor with a ghostly aura sat on a high platform, the intense pressure making Tang Ning shiver, unable to utter a word.

The red thread twined around Tang Ning's fingertips cut through the drifting smoke. Unexplainably, it appeared on the emperor's fingertip. The pale, slender hand lifted, gently pulling the red thread forward—

Tang Ning, pulled by the thread, stumbled, and his bewildered body collapsed on the ground. He couldn't even answer the emperor's question; his mind was empty.

The emperor's hand entwined the red thread, while the other hand conjured a heavy book out of thin air. The pages turned swiftly, forming a blur until stopping at one page. In the tiny letters, a name emitted a faint glow:

Tang Ning.

Black eyelashes drooped, unable to conceal the deep crimson in the profound eyes. The thin, red lips curved into a smile.

Surrounded by a bluish mist, strange-shaped, humanoid figures resembling paper people appeared on the bizarre, dead trees. They stared at Tang Ning. His blank mind recalled childhood tales of supernatural beings like the clothes-stealing hag and hanging clothes spirit, hanging deceased's garments on tree branches, the length representing the severity of their sins.

As Tang Ning pondered, an elderly paper person with two twisted braids, a face adorned with two red blushes, descended from a tree, rushing straight towards Tang Ning!

The oppressive feeling of the paper bride's encounter overwhelmed Tang Ning. He couldn't even react to escape before the paper person pinned him down!

The clothes-stealing hag removed Tang Ning's Jun Ke outer garment. Unrelenting, it proceeded to strip off Tang Ning's inner clothing, as if forcibly exposing the delicate bud of a flower.

Deprived of the shielding garments, Tang Ning clutched himself in a mix of shock and fear. His once-beautiful face lost its color, yet various parts of his body were adorned with varying shades of blush. A long red thread seemed to entwine with the alluring paleness, as if inviting covetous gazes.

The hanging clothes spirit hung the garments on the branches. The seemingly light inner clothing appeared weighty, almost breaking the tree branches.

"Oh dear, how can such an innocent person bear such heavy sins?" The voice of the clothes-stealing hag was eerie, sharp, and thin.

Tang Ning was stupefied.

Though not a saint, he had never committed any wrongdoing. How could he end up with a reputation of being thoroughly wicked?

The hanging clothes spirit, perched on the tree, approached for a closer look, nearly falling from the tree in astonishment—

The hanging clothes carried the aura of the emperor, as if foretelling a vast world of passion and an endless sea of suffering, trapping the emperor who should have severed love and emotions. This was his sin.

"Tang Ning, do you know your sins?" the emperor atop the high platform questioned coldly.

The voice was deep, evoking an indescribable familiarity for Tang Ning, as if heard somewhere before.

Before Tang Ning could formulate an answer, an invisible pressure spread, as if a sinister wind caressed his skin, making him shiver slightly. His gaze was bewildered, lips slightly parted, subconsciously murmuring, "What crime have I committed?"