Chapter 34

A tear-drenched fingertip touched the lips, and Qi Yun's face, seemingly eternally rational with no emotional fluctuations, displayed an almost astonished expression.

He slightly lifted his chin, tilting his face upward. The sounds of chewing, clattering dishes and utensils, even the footsteps in the cafeteria, all came to a halt, plunging the air into a deathly silence.

In this moment, his icy eyes contracted pupils continuously, and as the wind seeped through the window's crevices, an invisible creature seemed to emit a sigh-like sound.

Tang Ning sat in his chair, unable to witness the tumultuous emotions on Qi Yun's face from this angle. He merely sensed an ominous feeling instinctively.

What's wrong with Qi Yun?

Tang Ning stared at Qi Yun, traces of unshed tears lingering in his eyes. Qi Yun's throat moved up and down, his body showing a subtle tremor. Then, Qi Yun slowly lowered his head, his face still calm and composed, as if there were no difference in his demeanor towards Tang Ning and others.

Yet, Tang Ning seemed to touch upon something beneath that cold exterior, like a fire simmering beneath an icy layer.

"What's wrong?" Qi Yun asked, lowering his head.

Normal, distinct from all the eccentric NPCs.

But in this abnormal instance, the seemingly normal Qi Yun was, in itself, abnormal.

"I'm fine," Tang Ning hesitated, his eyes, nose, and even his chin tinged with red. His voice soft and muddled, he added, "I'm okay."

"Still hurting?" Qi Yun gently traced the red marks on Tang Ning's body.

The delicate skin, already tender, became more sensitive after the injury. Despite Qi Yun lightening his touch, it still sent shivers through Tang Ning, tears forming like mist and falling.

Tang Ning keenly felt Qi Yun's fingers trembling, and a bizarre and horrifying thought popped into his not-so-bright mind—

It's like he gets excited seeing me cry.

Realizing this, Tang Ning widened his eyes abruptly, forcefully suppressing the urge to cry.

Qi Yun's fingers slid from the scars on Tang Ning's face to the bruised areas on his neck. The scalding palm completely embraced Tang Ning's neck, giving him the illusion of being bitten by a ferocious beast.

"Why did you ask me to go to the dorm this morning?" Qi Yun calmly inquired.

"Somebody was blocking me outside in the morning, not letting me leave. I was afraid of being late, so I wanted you to help me open the door. I didn't expect Gu Ming to do it for me in advance."

Qi Yun faintly acknowledged.

"Sorry for making you run for nothing." Tang Ning squeezed an apology from his throat, secretly wishing Qi Yun would let go.

"It's not your fault; I was just a step late." The bewitching peach blossom eyes focused on Tang Ning. "By the way, are you close to Gu Ming?"

In that brief eye contact, Tang Ning's heartbeat seemed to skip a beat. He instinctively shook his head.

He didn't know why he immediately denied it.

Qi Yun continued to stare at him intently.

Tang Ning unconsciously flashed a pleasing smile. Despite appearing happy, his eyes seemed on the verge of tears. He timidly said, "Qi Yun."

This morning, in danger, he called out Qi Yun's name, as if summoning something.

Qi Yun's fixed gaze showed a slight movement.