Chapter 30

Tang Ning had a dream.

He dreamed of Mo Yunchu.

Against the cold wall he leaned on, Mo Yunchu's lifeless body was embedded. Mo Yunchu's handsome face lacked any trace of color, resembling a flawless sculpture crafted from gypsum.

Tang Ning's nose touched Mo Yunchu's, both icy and devoid of warmth. Their lips were close, as if about to kiss in the next moment.

But Mo Yunchu didn't kiss him.

Tang Ning stared blankly at the figure before him, witnessing the thick lashes lift to reveal long, deep phoenix eyes—equally cold. All tenderness and affection seemed drained, leaving Tang Ning shivering.

He heard Mo Yunchu's icy inquiry, questioning why he lay with other men, why he betrayed him.

Before him was the cold Mo Yunchu, behind him the scorching Qi Yun.

No, no.

Tang Ning wanted to defend himself, but the rich fragrance overwhelmed him. Countless vines seemed to extend from the shadows, entwining his limbs and penetrating his flesh. At the roots of his ribs, fragrant flowers bloomed.

No, it's not true.

You're the one who abandoned me... You're the one who didn't want me!

He wanted to accuse, but no words came out. Flowers continued to bloom from his mouth, each trembling.

"Ah, ah, ah, ah—"

A piercing scream shattered the silent night, abruptly waking Tang Ning.

His mind remained chaotic; his body instinctively focused on any sounds in the corridor.

Then, he heard a series of sharp, thin laughter, like nails scraping a blackboard.

First soft, with an odd melody, then escalating in excitement, echoing through the corridor. The eerie laughter continued, seemingly uncontrollable.

The sound of dragging heavy objects echoed in the corridor. Even though Tang Ning couldn't see anything, his mind vividly painted a picture of something walking and laughing at the same time, bending backward, neck almost breaking, damaged vocal cords producing a stuttering laughter.

What had happened?

Tang Ning felt a numbness, as if his scalp had been gently scratched by that laughter. His prolonged position on the rigid bed, especially on the stiff mattress, was uncomfortable.

Yet, he dared not move a muscle.

Fear, like aphids and red spiders, crawled over the bed. Tang Ning's exposed skin, whether due to the coarse sheets or intense fear, developed scattered red marks.

"Classmates, are you asleep?" The voice asked.

No response.

The distant voice suddenly approached, as if pressed against the dormitory door, accusing with resentment, "So, it's you who can't sleep~"

"Bad child."

Tang Ning covered his mouth, body tense. His mind was blank. After a while, the silent corridor echoed again with the chilling sound of dragging heavy objects, slowly fading away until it vanished.

It seemed like it had truly left.

But Tang Ning still hesitated to move.

He might be going mad. Even in the current silence, he felt a voice would emerge any second, asking if he had slept.

Indistinct contours approached in the darkness, thin lips close to Tang Ning's ear, a hushed voice with an indefinable flavor, "Couldn't sleep after a nightmare?"