Chapter 22

Torrential rain poured down, the icy drops relentlessly striking Tang Ning. His entire body drenched, the thin fabric clung to his form, outlining delicate contours. Water beads, like a string of pearls, cascaded from his hair and the corners of his clothes. His anxious face, pale to transparency, reflected the unsettling ambiance.

Tang Ning dared not look back, sprinting desperately towards the cemetery behind the hills. In the fleeting thunder, the pale tombstones on the mountain illuminated, and the dim trees swayed in the storm, as if ghosts played hide-and-seek among the shaking branches.

A chilling aura thickened on the mountain, pervasive cold corroding everything. Tang Ning felt an unexplained unease, faintly hearing footsteps in the storm, as if someone trod on heavy leaves. Terrified, he hid behind a tree, muffling his mouth, fearing any inadvertent sound.

The rustling of leaves echoed from the treetops, surrounding sounds mimicking countless footsteps closing in on Tang Ning, who found himself at the center of this haunting pursuit.

Who is it?

Who is approaching?

Is it Mo Yunchu, Lu Yingxing, or the gravedigger?

Torrential rain, thunder, lurking figures in the darkness—all stimulated Tang Ning's nerves. He couldn't distinguish whether his trembling stemmed from fear, cold, or both.

Rustle.

Rustle, rustle.

The heavy footsteps ominously approached Tang Ning, accompanied by the gloomy wind carrying raindrops that struck his face. Tang Ning, hidden behind the tree, prayed fervently not to be discovered. Perhaps his prayers worked as the footsteps halted.

Tang Ning held his breath, even though the storm's roar could conceal his insignificant breath.

The rain intensified.

Within the deluge, something floated down, covering the sky with a roaring sound. Tang Ning, puzzled, witnessed another flash of lightning illuminating everything. He felt a chill as wet paper money flew onto his face, covering one eye. Like damp hands caressing him, more paper money inundated him, seeming consciously directed toward him.

Terrified, Tang Ning stepped back, heart pounding, unsure if he feared or shivered from the cold, perhaps both.

Rustle.

Rustle, rustle.

The dense footsteps approached Tang Ning step by step, the chilly wind carrying rain making him shiver. Inwardly praying not to be noticed, Tang Ning glanced at the approaching gravedigger, carrying a black bag from which the paper money emerged.

Overwhelmed by relief, Tang Ning, excited, moved closer to the gravedigger but remembered the words spoken earlier.

"Don't move! Don't turn around!"

A powerful, elderly voice resonated from nearby.

Tang Ning hesitated, then elation overcame him as he saw the gravedigger in rain gear emerging from the woods, scattering paper money from the bag due to the strong wind.

Unable to describe his feelings of surviving this ordeal, Tang Ning, trembling, approached the gravedigger, who had spoken earlier.

"Follow me," the gravedigger whispered, and Tang Ning eagerly trailed behind. On this dark night, shrouded in thick clouds, with occasional lightning providing the only glimpse of light, Tang Ning struggled to see the path. The gravedigger, however, walked steadily, periodically scattering paper money behind him.

Rustle.

Rustle.

Rustle, rustle.

Walking side by side, yet a third set of footsteps echoed behind them.