23. Mr. Prince Charming

Our eyes locked in an unspoken dance, and his gaze, oh, it was pure enchantment - a magical concoction of warmth and a whispered promise of love. It felt like my heart was about to burst, soaked in the intoxicating elixir of his eyes. But, love? No, no way. I swore off that treacherous path a long time ago.

His eyes, like a spell, held me captive, making me feel like I was tumbling into a sea of emotions. The warmth was undeniable, and it stirred a longing for something more, something that resembled love. Yet, the echoes of past heartbreaks resonated loudly in my mind, a haunting melody of pain and shattered dreams.

As much as I wanted to surrender to the enchantment, the scars of love's battlefield screamed caution. I stood on the precipice of emotion, torn between the captivating allure of his gaze and the fear of once again being left in the ruins of heartache. Love, the elusive dream, had left me wounded, and the prospect of falling again felt like stepping into a storm with no shelter in sight.

"Let's go," he said, standing up. "Sure," I replied, getting up and following him to Keo.

"Come on, Keo," he urged, casting a glance toward the horse.

Keo responded to his call with a gentle snort, acknowledging our presence. We approached the horse, ready to continue our journey together.

He extended his hand again, silently offering help. Holding my dress with one hand, I took his hand with the other and jumped onto the horse. Asher followed, settling in behind me. Now, the two of us were on Keo's back, ready for the journey ahead

With Asher securely seated behind me, we set off on our horseback adventure. The landscape unfolded before us, and the rhythmic clip-clop of Keo's hooves created a soothing melody. As the wind tousled our hair, I couldn't help but steal a glance back at Asher. His presence added a touch of companionship to the journey, making every moment feel like a shared dream. Together, we rode into the unknown, ready to embrace whatever surprises awaited us.

Lost in the deep woods, my mind started to play a wild game. What if I never met Asher? The forest seemed like a giant puzzle, and without him, I'd be stuck. How would I find my way out of this green maze?

I peeked at Asher, and it hit me - he was my way out. Grateful for bumping into him, I realized he was the hero I needed in this forest adventure. So, with him beside me, I was ready for whatever surprises these woods had in store.

As we ventured through the woods, my mind started connecting the dots of my journey so far. I thought about all those random encounters that turned into friends, and planning a trip together. The more I pondered, the more it felt like destiny had a hand in it all.

Why did we choose this forest out of the entire world? It hit me - maybe all those chance meetings, the new friendships, and now this forest trip were all connected. Was destiny weaving a plan, leading me to meet Asher in the middle of these towering trees?

I shared a glance with Asher, a silent acknowledgment of the serendipity that brought us here. It was like the universe had its own map, and every twist and turn led me to this very moment in the heart of the forest, contemplating the magic of chance and the possibility that destiny had already scripted our meeting.

Asher suddenly catches my gaze and asks, "What's wrong? Why are you looking like that?" Lost in my thoughts for a moment, I reply, "Nothing, just thinking." In the blink of an eye, we find ourselves far from where we started, the landscape changing as our thoughts intertwine with the journey.

Asher then asks me, "Will you eat something?" and I reply, "Yes," as I was quite hungry. We both stop and dismount Keo. Asher takes out a bag from Keo's saddle, and from that bag, he opens a container. As soon as he opens it, a beautiful aroma fills the air. We both sit on a rock and begin to eat, and a serene calm envelops us.

At that moment, Asher says, "I know we don't know each other well, and maybe we might never meet after I drop you home."

I say yes, and a thought crosses my mind. If we might never meet again, why not share my secrets with him? After all, he doesn't really know me, and he won't be a part of my life after dropping me home. So, I gather the courage to ask him the question that has been lingering in my mind for I don't know how long.

"Asher, why do you live alone in this jungle?"

He smiles and then, averting his gaze, he says, "I have no one in this world. This jungle, it's the closest to my heart..." My curiosity gets the better of me, and I inquire, "Your parents?" He responds, "I don't have any parents... I'm an orphan."

"I'm sorry. It must have been tough for you," I say. He replies, "It was. My parents passed away when I was just five years old."

"My mom was a doctor, a wonderful woman. She was my inspiration. But one day, some people falsely accused her of illegal practices. And she never returned home one day. Dad and I searched a lot, but she was never found," he says, narrating the painful story. As he speaks, tears well up in his eyes, but there's a faint smile on his face, as if he has accepted it all.

"And what about your dad?" I ask. "After mom was gone, he started drinking, so much that one day, he was driving under the influence, and he had an accident with a truck," he says.

As Asher reveals his heartbreaking story, a wave of empathy washes over me. The pain of losing both parents at such a young age, the struggle, and the solitude in the jungle - it's a narrative that tugs at the strings of my heart. I can't help but admire the resilience on his face, that subtle smile hiding beneath the weight of his past.

He avoids eye contact, but I sense the hidden tears within. Rising from my spot, I decide to do what he did when I was crying - I hug him. As I embrace him, I can hear the rapid beats of his heart - fast and intense. When I pull back and look at him, he responds with a smile, "Why are you smiling?" I inquire. "Hugging you feels really good," he says, coming closer. In that moment, my heart races even faster than Keo's hooves, and I quickly look away, returning to my seat on the rock, feeling a mix of emotions in the air.

"Now it's your turn," he says. "My parents loved me a lot. But, my childhood wasn't that great. My parents used to argue a lot. I saw so many fights at such a young age; I used to quietly cry. Everyone wants to go back to their childhood, but if someone asks me to go back, I'd never want to. Now that I'm grown up, I've learned to live with my problems," I share, reflecting on the challenges of my own past.

I look towards him, and in his eyes, I sense compassion. "Don't worry; I'm happy now," I reassure him, hoping to convey that despite the challenges, I've found contentment in the present.

"Um... so, what's your boyfriend's name?" he asks.

"Boyfriend? I don't have one," I say, rolling my eyes

"You don't? Why doesn't such a beautiful lady have a boyfriend?" he says, chuckling..

"Because no guy could match the standards of this beautiful lady," I say, smirking.

He asks, "So, what's your standards?"

I think to myself, "Since he's been throwing lines at me since we met, now it's my turn."

"Aha! Seems like you wanna match my list Mr." I say seductively.

Absolutely, I am so proud of myself at this point.

He suddenly looks at me, "I bet, I already do!"

No, let me win atleast once!

***

Writer's note:

Hey dear readers,
Absolutely sorry for the long break. I had some commitments. But, I am back. Will be updating frequently now.

Love,
Therjtales ♡