3. Aura's Birthday

As Serena and I strolled back to our dorm, the evening air carried with it an air of excitement. The animated discussion revolved around Aura's upcoming birthday, a mere two days away. Aura, always one for grand celebrations, had chosen a club located 2 km from our campus as the venue for her festivity. The prospect of a night filled with music, laughter, and perhaps a touch of glamour had us intrigued.

"So, Aura's birthday at a club, huh?" Serena grinned, her eyes reflecting the anticipation of a good time. "And she's inviting Mark?" she added, her tone suggesting that this detail added an extra layer of significance.

"Yeah, she's going all out this time," I replied, imagining the club's vibrant atmosphere and wondering how Aura planned to capture Mark's attention. Mark, the campus genius, was known for his reserved demeanour and dedication to his studies. The idea of him attending a party seemed almost surreal.

As we approached our dorm, the conversation delved into theories about how Aura might successfully woo Mark's presence. Serena, being the imaginative friend she was, conjured up elaborate scenarios involving chance encounters, witty banter, and a touch of mystery.

Little did we know that the days leading up to Aura's birthday would bring more surprises and unexpected twists, setting the stage for an unforgettable celebration that would not only mark the passing of another year for Aura but also weave the threads of fate that would shape our own experiences in the days to come. While I was in the lecture, I was still thinking about my dream. Thinking the whole time about that boy. Who was he? It felt so real. I wish he was real. 

"Hey" comes a voice from behind. I turn around to see Suzy. *Sigh*. Not her again.

"Hi," I say in a low voice. "Well do you guys know that I am officially dating Joshua" she says looking at me. As if I care, huh?

"Congrats," I say with an uninterested voice. "Well, we both are planning to announce it publicly at Aura's party".

What? Aura invited them too? Is she a freaking idiot? How can she do this to me? She knows that I don't like both of them. Still? Oh my gosh!

I rush back to the dorm grabbing Serena with me.

***

"Aura" I open the door angrily.

The to-be-birthday girl is busy trying the new clothes that she just bought.

"Yeah? What's the matter?" Aura asked innocently, her attention momentarily diverted from the pile of clothes she was sifting through.

I couldn't contain my frustration, responding harshly, "I don't know yet, but I'm sure you'll create one soon enough." I took a deep breath, trying to maintain my composure. "You invited Joshua and Suzy to your party? How could you do this to me? I can't believe this."

Aura looked up, her eyes widening with realization. "Eva, I had to do this. Joshua is Mark's best friend, and you know how rarely Mark attends parties. If anyone can bring him to the celebration, it's Joshua. Please, just for a day, for me. Please understand."

Despite my irritation, I sighed, realizing the complexity of Aura's motives. It wasn't just about a party; it was an elaborate plan to involve Mark, someone Aura harboured feelings for. For the sake of our friendship, I begrudgingly agreed, "Fine. Whatever." Yet, the tension lingered, a precursor to the unexpected events that would unfold on Aura's birthday night.

Aura then enthusiastically plunged back into the sea of clothes spread across the room. "Girls, I need more clothes and some accessories too. I have nothing over here," she exclaimed, her eyes scanning the room as if expecting a magical wardrobe expansion.