Chapter Thirty Seven(Zack)

Zack had his hand in Alex's as sat in the car at the end of his childhood home, Jack was sat in the back of the car rubbing Zack's shoulders. "It'll be fine" Jack said "he's either still an asshole and you know you can cut him out permanently" Jack starts, "or he's a changed man and he's sober" Jack said.

"What would you rather it be?" Alex asked, squeezing his fiancé's hand gently.

Zack sat in silence for a moment thinking deeply about Alex's question. On one hand, he'd love for his father to be sober and happy...but if that's the case he'll likely come to their wedding, but they're drinking and thats not a risk Zack's willing to take, reconnecting with his alcoholic father on a night he replaces? No thanks, on the other hand, if he's still a drunk, then he's definitely not invited, he doesn't want drama, just love and happiness, he wants to be safe.

"Both is bad" Zack muttered under his breath "One he can relapse at a wedding, Two he can cause drama just by being there" Zack stated leaning forward closing his, holding his stomach, letting out a soft groan, before struggling with the door handle before throwing up onto the pavement.

"Oh buddy" Jack mumbled rubbing Zack's back from behind the seat "It's okay, we don't have to go in, you can just drop the letter into the letter box with your email and phone number, start by texting him, let him take the first step" Jack reassured.

Alex sighed letting go of Zack's hand before pulling off the pavement and starting to drive away in silence, driving around the large estate.

After a bit of time, Zack had calmed down holding Alex's hand again "I'm just going to post it" Zack starts, not so confidently.

"You sure?" Alex asked, squeezing his hand "want Jack to post it?" He asked.

Zack shook his head "No I'll post it" He said calmly breathing in deeply.

As Zack prepared to step out of the car, he felt a surge of nerves coursing through him. The weight of his decision to reach out to his father weighed heavily on his shoulders, mingling with the excitement and anticipation of his upcoming wedding. The thought of reconnecting with his estranged father brought a mixture of hope and trepidation.

Despite the uncertainty about his father's response, Zack knew he needed to take this step toward reconciliation. Over the years, the absence of his father had left a void in his life, a lingering ache that he hoped could be healed with time and effort. The upcoming wedding served as a catalyst for Zack to confront his past and seek closure, not just for himself but also for Alex, his steadfast partner who had stood by him through thick and thin.

With a deep breath, Zack gathered his resolve, drawing strength from the unwavering support of Alex and Jack. Their presence in the car, their reassuring touches and comforting words, served as a reminder that he was not alone in this journey. As he glanced at Alex, their eyes met, and he found solace in the unwavering love reflected in those eyes.

"I can do this," Zack murmured to himself, a mantra to bolster his confidence. He reached for the door handle, his hand trembling slightly with anticipation. Each movement felt deliberate, each heartbeat echoing the gravity of the moment.

As he stepped out onto the familiar pavement of his childhood home, memories flooded his mind—both joyful and painful. The echoes of laughter from his youth mingled with the echoes of arguments and disappointment. Yet amidst it all, there remained a glimmer of hope, a flicker of possibility that urged him forward.

With the letter clutched tightly in his hand, Zack approached the mailbox with measured steps. Each footfall echoed in the quiet of the neighborhood, a reminder of the weight of his decision. As he reached the mailbox, he paused, taking a moment to compose himself.

Closing his eyes, Zack whispered a silent prayer, a plea for strength and understanding. Then, with a steady hand, he deposited the letter into the mailbox, a tangible symbol of his willingness to bridge the divide that had separated him from his father for so long.

As he turned away from the mailbox, a sense of relief washed over him, mingled with a tinge of apprehension. The first step had been taken, but the journey toward reconciliation was far from over. With a final glance back at the familiar facade of his childhood home, Zack returned to the car, ready to face whatever the future held, knowing that he did not face it alone.

——-
A few days had passed, it was rapidly approaching Zack's and Alex's wedding day and Zack hadn't heard anything from his father. He could only assume that he'd made his decision and didn't want to support a Gay child in his gay marriage.

As Zack sat on Alex's lap his head on his shoulder, a notification popped up on his screen from an unknown number.

Unknown: I'm not who you were trying to contact, My name is Hayley Merrick, I haven't spoken to Derek since December 2010 when he left Pregnant with our 3rd child.

Unknown: can I ask who you are?

Alex looked over Zack's shoulder as he read the messages that came through "want me to respond for you?" Alex offered. Zack took a deep breath but shook his head quickly, typing out a quick message.

Zack: Oh hi, I am Zack Merrick... Derek is my father, I moved out when I was 18 as he was an alcoholic all my life.. as you can see from the invitation, I'm getting married and I was inviting him.

Unknown: I'm sorry to hear that, he was sober when I met him, and he stayed sober while he was with me... I don't know what made him leave...

Unknown: if you are willing to meet after your wedding and honeymoon I'm okay with that after that I can let you meet my children, your half siblings, if not that's completely understandable, the ball is in your court.

Zack's heart skipped a beat as he read the unexpected messages from Hayley. The revelation about Derek's past with her and their children added another layer of complexity to his already tumultuous emotions. He felt a mixture of surprise, curiosity, and a twinge of sadness for the family he never knew he had.

As Alex looked over his shoulder, offering to respond on his behalf, Zack hesitated for a moment. This was his chance to take control of his own narrative, to confront his past and embrace the possibility of a future he never imagined. With a determined nod, Zack took a deep breath and began typing his response.

In his message, Zack revealed a glimpse of his own struggles growing up with Derek's alcoholism and the painful memories that haunted him.

As he hit send, Zack felt a surge of nervous anticipation. The ball was now in his court, and he knew the decision he made could change the course of his life forever. Yet amidst the uncertainty, there was a newfound sense of empowerment, a realization that he had the power to shape his own destiny.