Fracture in Time XXVI - Memories III

"Alright you-" Zoie pointed at Cayden, "There." She pointed to the complete opposite end of her bed. "Me-" She pointed at herself, "There." She pointed to the near side. Even if they both laid completely straight, there would still be a good amount of space between them. Cayden stood there awkwardly, it wasn't just weird that he was sleeping in the same bed as her, he'd never even slept in the same bed as Cincelly or Cyrus. His own mom and dad. His mother had had to stay by his bedside a few nights before, as he'd wake up in a panic.

"So y'all all good?" Tyron peaked his head through the door.

"Yeah I think." Cayden nodded nervously.

"Aight, g'night." He retracted back out, leaving the two of them alone. Zoie wasted no time hopping to her side and laying down. She looked up at him, just staring.

"So you gonna stand there or what." She waved her hand to the other side. He walked over and sat down, it was definitely a comfy bed, more than the ones at Syvaso, which themselves were already very comfortable.

Cayden looked around the room at a few lit candles that lit the place. "What about the-"

Zoie pointed a finger at them, a small zap came from her finger but he couldn't see anything coming from them, but the candles went out as she pointed at them regardless.

"Night." She laid down under the covers and laid her head down.

"Yeah, night." He whispered, doing the same. Nervous about several factors that were in play.

A clank of two wooden objects coming into contact. The swinging of an axe and a grunt, that ended with the sound of two pieces of wood falling to the ground. A repeated process from outside the window. Heavy breathing followed by a-

"Whoo." Cyrus wiped his forehead with his shirt, swinging the axe into the stump and collecting the firewood he had cut. "Cayden." He called out to the window, "I know you're up, can you come out here and help y'er old man out?"

He reluctantly got up, yawning after a good night's rest.

"Comin'!" He hopped out of his bed, putting on some jeans and a ripped shirt. There wasn't any value in wearing clothes that were going to get dirty from the day's work. He hurried out of his room and ran past his mother to the back door.

"Dad's already calling you out?" Cincelly sat at their table, eating her breakfast; eggs on toast. She tossed him a piece of toast so he'd at least have something in his system, as she knew he was going to end up drifting into a cycle of helping the others with their work. "Don't work yourself to death, kay Cay'?"

"Kaay!" He said as he left out the back door. For a man that spent all his days in the sun, his father had extraordinarily pale skin. His jade colored eyes were one of his defining traits, along with his near jet-black hair, the only trait of his that Cayden inherited. His ruby-red eyes and light-skinned complexion were all Cincelly. He stood there, basking in the sun's warmth, shirt off and everything.

"Sun's nice today, huh?" He looked down at his son, with his arms spread wide like he was trying to give the sky a hug.

"Mhm." Cayden mimicked him, holding his arms out to the sky.

"What're you two doin'." their neighbor came by, the man who ran Zlaman's apothecary. Marcus Camile, with his son Tyron.

"Mornin' Marcus." He returned to a normal posture. Tyron chucked a little bit at his pose, no sense of embarrassment, free to do whatever he pleased without the worry of being judged.

"Mornin'." Marcus replied, opening the gate to their backyard and limping in. His leg was injured in a war that he had fought in with Cincelly, but it wasn't too bad thanks to one of the doctors that lived in Zlaman; Oscar Leigh, who patched it up nicely.