Fracture in Time XII - Generals

Chapter 12
Location: Ava's manor
Date: 6652 WE, 1 Week since beginning of story

"Once again." Ava ordered, Zoie's hands were burnt and stinging, she had gotten the jump a few times, but it wasn't consistence enough. The constant flow of lightning going into her hands was starting to show side effects, with twitching and numbness. She focused again, all of her energy into one finger, then trying to force it out into the air, into the other.

"Tell me what you're trying to do." Ava bent down, looking very closely at her hands, a very slight smell of smoke coming from them.

"Focus everything into one finger, then into the air." Zoie said, panting due to how much energy every spark took.

"Well no wonder you're failing." Ava stood up straight, she fully extended her arms to her sides, holding her hands out in front of her. "Let me show you a trick." She said, her left hand began to spark, she put it further out, then pointed at her hand with her other. She focused a tiny bit of Mana into her finger, which almost instantaneously shot out into the other hand. "Try focusing a tiny bit of Mana on your target." Zoie blinked a few times, and then nodded, looking down, focusing most, but not all of her Mana into one finger while she put the rest into the other. She gazed at it sharply with intense focus, and then released it all, a very small, but very existent spark jumped from her fingers. Her eyes lit up and a smile stretched across her face.

"Now do it again." Ava ordered, Zoie repeated the process, another spark jumped between her fingers, she smiled even more, doing it a few more times on her own.

"I did it!" She said jumping around in celebration while her hands twitched. Her excitement slowly died down as she realized she accomplished her goal, "Now what?"

"It's your choice, one which you will make while we eat." She pointed directly up at the skylight, Zoie looked up only to get blinded by the sun directly overhead.

"You can just say it's noon." Zoie said, blinking a few times to see the burn in her retinas.

"That's true, but personal experience is better than words." She said, "Which is why I electrocuted you instead of describing being electrocuted, speaking of." Ava inched closed to Zoie, a chill shot down her spine as she backed up to Ava's approach.

"What're you doing?" Zoie asked, Ava vanished, she tried to turn behind her only for Ava's hand to already be at her neck, the electric shock once again shot through her, but something was off this time. She stood on her own feet, grabbing Ava's arm and pushing it away from her neck.

"Your body is already used to it." Ava said, walking over to the floor where she had taken off her gloves earlier, picking them up and sliding them back on. "It didn't hurt as much this time, did it?"

Zoie looked at her hands, they were twitching, and the sting was definitely still there, but it was nowhere near as bad as the first time, she could feel the current in her body, coursing through her veins and muscles, slowly dissipating into the air around her.

"It didn't..." Zoie responded, opening and closing her hands as the twitching slowly subsided.

"Alright lunch, I have... Let's go to the kitchen I don't pay attention to what I have." Ava slipped her hands back into her robe and began walking out of the room and down the hall. Zoie looked around the room, then walked over to Julia. She was still passed out, but her breathing and pulse were normal enough. Zoie took off Julia's glasses, folded them, and placed them next to her, leaving the room quietly to let her rest.

Location: Vhasen town center

The sounds of hooves slamming against the ground signaled the arrival and Damon and Jodie for their daily routine, however the looks on their faces told of the urgent news they had. They came to a quick halt and jumped off their horses, Damon ran to Cayden, who was helping Tyron unload the basket of grain into a bin on the front porch of Ivanka's.