15

Chapter 15

“Budhape mein yehi dekhna reh gya tha. Kam se kam darwaza toh laga lete,” his father muttered. His parents walked over to the bed and sat down.

Arjun stood awkwardly in front of his parents, his cheeks burning with embarrassment as he nervously rubbed the back of his neck. Behind him, Banishree tried to hide her face, feeling utterly embarrassed.

“Uhh…we were waiting for your arrival, that's why I left it open,” He said, his ears turning pink.

Radhika, Arjun's mother, sat across from him, her expression a mix of shock and disbelief. "Did you get this girl pregnant?" she blurted out, her words hanging heavily in the air.

Arjun's father, still recovering from taking a sip of water, coughed and spluttered, water spraying out in all directions. Arjun, looked at his parents-in-law wide-eyed, his own shock mirroring theirs. "What! No!" he exclaimed, his voice a mixture of disbelief and horror. "I swear I am as virgin as one could get," he added hastily, hoping to dispel any doubts.

Yashraj, Arjun's father, narrowed his eyes suspiciously as he addressed his son. "So, how did you end up getting married without even informing us?" he asked, his tone tinged with a mixture of surprise and disapproval.

Arjun fidgeted nervously under his father's gaze, acutely aware of how the situation must appear to his parents. "Papa, I went to that medical camp about a month ago," he began, attempting to explain. "I did mention it to both of you, right?" He glanced at his parents, seeking confirmation, and received a nod in response.

Taking a deep breath, he continued, "Well, during the camp, while I was checking up on Banishree, her family started accusing her of things she never did. They were even planning to marry her off to a man much older than her." Arjun's voice tightened with emotion as he recounted the events. "That's when I couldn't just stand by and watch. I had to step in to save her."

Arjun's words hung in the air, his parents digesting the unexpected turn of events. Yashraj's expression softened slightly as he processed his son's explanation, realising the gravity of the situation Arjun had found himself in.

Radhika( Arjun's mother), who had been carefully observing and listening to the conversation, spoke up gently, "Banishree, beta, give us some space. We would like to talk to Arjun."

(Banishree, dear, give us some space. We want to talk to Arjun.)

Banishree looked at her in-laws, then at Arjun, assuming they were about to scold him. Overwhelmed with emotion, she burst into tears. "Aap log humare doctor babu ko matt dantiye. Woh kuch nahi kiye hai," she cried out. "Ooh toh humra bas madad kar rahe the. Doctor babu nirdosh hai. Humra viswash kijiye. Aap log humka dantiye."

(Please don't scold my Doctor Babu. He didn't do anything wrong. He was just helping me. Doctor Babu is innocent. Trust me. Scold me instead.)

His parents exchanged a knowing glance and smiled. Arjun, still looking at Banishree, reassured her, "Shree, tum bahar jao. Hum theek hai. Koi nahi daantega mujhe." (Shree, you go outside. I'm fine. No one will scold me.)

Arjun was both touched and amused by his wife's concern. He was touched. How could one be so innocent and selfless in today's cruel world.

Banishree hesitated for a moment before nodding and leaving the room.

As his parents nodded in understanding, Arjun opened up further about Banishree. "Beta, marriage is an eternal commitment. It's far more than just a passing attraction," his mother imparted sagely. "It's about standing by each other through thick and thin. It's about finding solace in each other's arms after disagreements. It's all about loyalty, putting in effort, and respecting each other."