11

Chapter 11

As Banishree woke up to the soft light filtering through the curtains, she glanced over to see Arjun peacefully asleep. With a quiet reverence, she whispered a prayer, "Hari Om," before beginning her day. Her movements were gentle as she dusted the room, tidying up and arranging things in their place.

After completing her chores, she attended to the laundry and took a refreshing shower. Then, sitting before the small wooden temple in the corner of the room, she offered her morning prayers, lighting a diya with devotion.

As she settled back on the bed, her gaze fell upon Arjun, still lost in slumber. His features were softened by sleep, his kindness evident even in repose. A gentle smile graced her lips as she observed him, realising the depth of her feelings.

In her nineteen years of life, Banishree had never experienced love like this. But now, as she looked at the man she called her husband, she knew that she had fallen for him, for her beloved Doctor Babu. With a contented sigh, she embraced the warmth of her newfound emotions, smiling at the prospect of what the future might hold.

As Arjun stirred from his slumber, the lingering fragrance of incense sticks filled his senses, mingling with the eerie silence that enveloped the room. A sense of unease settled in his chest as he realised Banishree was not in the room with him. In the past two weeks, her presence had become a comforting constant, and her absence now felt starkly noticeable.

With a sudden jolt, he sat up straight in bed, his heart sinking to his stomach. Panic fluttered in his chest as he scanned the room, searching for any sign of her. His gaze darted to the bathroom, then to the attached balcony, but she was nowhere to be found.

Fearing the worst, he reached for his phone, his fingers trembling slightly as he dialled Banishree's number. Just as he pressed the call button, the door creaked open, and relief flooded through him as Banishree entered, holding an empty bucket in her hand.

Banishree smiled at him, “Arey, Doctor Babu, aap uth...” (Oh, Doctor Babu, you're awake...) She was cut off mid-sentence when Arjun took long strides towards her, grabbing her shoulders and startling her. "Kahan gayi thi bina bataaye?” (Where did you go without telling me?) He asked in a serious tone, a tone Banishree had never heard from him before. “Ooh...hum Kapda ...daalne gaye the Chat par,” (Oh... I went to put the clothes on the terrace,) She mumbled nervously.

Arjun's eyes softened, and in a moment, he embraced her tightly. Banishree felt her heart quicken and her face warm as he held her. “Mujhe bina bataaye kahin mat jaya karo, Shree,” (Don't go anywhere without telling me, Shree,) He murmured against her ears, to which she nodded in understanding. He planted a soft kiss on the side of her head and stepped back, noticing the ruby colour on her cheeks with a smile.

If it wasn't the most pleasing sight.

As Banishree stirred the tea on the stove, Arjun sat at the table, engrossed in his thesis. Suddenly, his phone buzzed with a message. It was from Alia. Arjun's heart skipped a beat as he read the text. "I am back. Arjun,” the message read, followed by another, "Arjun, I need to talk to you. Can we meet?"

Arjun stared at the messages for a moment, feeling a mix of emotions swirling inside him. With a deep breath, he composed himself and typed a response. "Let's meet at the down the lane cafe. I need to talk to you as well," he replied, his fingers tapping on the screen with a hint of hesitation.

As Banishree set the tea down on the table, Arjun's mind was already preoccupied with thoughts about the upcoming conversation with Alia. He hoped he could handle whatever it was she needed to discuss while also being considerate of Banishree's feelings.

Arjun pulled on a black polo shirt and jeans, preparing to step out. "Mai bahar Jaa Raha hu. Kuch chahiye bahar se?(Bani, I'm going out. Do you need anything from outside?)" he asked, turning towards her.

She was busy watching the movie ‘Hera Pheri.’ Glancing at him, she thought for a moment. "Haan, humka Pani Puri khaane ka bahut te hi Mann hai (Yes, I really feel like eating Pani Puri,)" she said, her eyes lighting up. He nodded and affectionately patted her head. "Alright."

*********************************

Target: 105+ votes

Hare Krishna