05

Chapter 5

Arjun went out, checked both the washrooms, but couldn't find Banishree. Puzzled, he approached the train attendant and asked, "Excuse me, did you see my... wife?" The train attendant nodded and replied, "Yes, sir. She went to the next coach, AC 2 tier."

Arjun walked to the next coach and heard pounding from inside the washroom. Concerned, he opened it from the outside, and a figure leaped out, hugging him. "Doctor Babu, hum phas gaye the andar se. Sasura khul hi nhi rha tha," she exclaimed. (Doctor, I got stuck inside. The door wouldn't open.)

Arjun was momentarily shocked before wrapping his arms around Banishree. Sensing her distress, he realized that she was crying.

"Arey Bani, kya hua tumhe, Mai hoon na idar," (Hey Bani, what happened to you? I'm here.) he reassured, his hands gently caressing her head.

Banishree, still in tears, confessed, "Oo humka dar lagta hai band jagah me. Humko saans nahi aati." (Oh, I get scared in closed spaces. I can't breathe.)

Arjun continued to hold her, offering comfort, "Don't worry, Bani. I'm here for you." He whispered. The confined space had triggered her fear, making it difficult for her to breathe. Arjun's soothing presence aimed to alleviate her distress.

He gently brought Banishree back to the cabin and offered her water. Concerned, he instructed her to take deep breaths, providing support to calm her nerves and help her regain composure. “Gehri Saans lo Bani,” He said, rubbing her back. ( Take deep breaths, Bani)

Banishree turned to him and said, "Hum aapka jindagi barbad kar diye. Hum Delhi pohoch ne ke baad chale jayenge. Aapki aur pareshaan nhi karengey," with tears in her eyes. (I have ruined your life. Once we reach Delhi, I will leave. I won't trouble you anymore.)

Arjun's eyes darkened, his expression turning serious. "Tum kahi nahi jaongi, biwi ho tum meri," he said in a deep voice. Both locked eyes intently. The train suddenly came to a stop, breaking their eye contact. Arjun looked around, rubbing the back of his neck. "Waise bhi Delhi mein tum akele nahi reh paoge. Delhi sab ke liye nhi hai," he said. (You won't go anywhere; you are my wife. Besides, you won't be able to survive alone in Delhi. Delhi is not for everyone.)

Banishree was sleeping peacefully, and Arjun sat near her feet, carefully observing her. Her long eyelashes greeted her cheeks, and her warm ivory skin glowed under the sunlight filtering through the window glass. Her full lips, now slightly puckered in her sleep, showcased a serene expression. Arjun chuckled, thinking about how lively she always was when talking, especially when she addressed him as "Doctor Babu."

His moment of reflection was interrupted as his phone pinged with a notification. Checking it, he found a message from Alia. His smile disappeared.

Arjun got up, drew the curtains, and took a moment to drink some water before sitting back down. The name "Alia" echoed in his thoughts. What was he going to say to her? Over their two-month relationship, she had been a lovely friend. They initially met three months ago through a mutual acquaintance and officially started dating two months back. Alia was sweet and kind, and their relationship had been friendly and sweet. Arjun groaned, pulling on his hair, realising the difficulty of the conversation ahead.

Arjun's thoughts were interrupted when he heard mumbling. He looked at Banishree to find her talking in her sleep, appearing to be both talking and crying. She was sweating profusely despite the AC being in full blast. "Baba...maa...nhi....nhi," she cried in her sleep.

Arjun called, "Bani, Bani," tapping her cheeks. She continued to cry. "Bani!" This time he shook her, and she woke up, breathing heavily.

"Kk....ka hua, Doctor Babu," (W-what happened, Doctor Babu) she said, looking around. Arjun observed her and handed her the water bottle. "Tum kuch bol rahi thi neend mein," (You were saying something in your sleep) he said.

Banishree awkwardly looked around. "Pta nhi," (I don't know) she mumbled, looking down.

A thick blanket of silence enveloped them. "Bani, hume kuch apne baare mein batao," (Bani, tell me something about yourself) he said after a while. She smiled softly at him.

"Humar naam Banishree Singh hai. Hum unnis saal ke hai. Humko naachna, filme dekhna pasand hai. Hum khane aur sone me mahir hai. Hum dasvi kaksha tak padhe hai, Bihar board se. Apko pata hai hum top kiye the madhyamik pariksha. Niche se," (My name is Banishree Singh. I am nineteen years old. I like dancing and watching movies. I am skilled in eating and sleeping. I studied up to class ten from the Bihar Board. You know, I topped the matriculation exam. From the bottom though.) She laughed. Arjun burst out in laughter.

"Hum gaon me apne maama maami ke saath rehte hai. Humko harmonium bajana aata hai aur humko meethi cheezen pasand hai khana," (I live in the village with my maternal uncle and aunt. I know how to play the harmonium, and I like eating sweet things) she said in one go. He smiled.

"Aur tumhare mummy papa?" (And your parents?) he asked. Bani's smile vanished. "Humare baba maa chal base hum jab 4 saal ke the," (My parents passed away when I was four years old) she said, looking down, her eyes filling up with tears. Arjun's heart sank, and he pulled her to his chest. "Mat ro, Bani. Bhagwan unko acchi jagah rakhe hai. Woh ab achi jagah hai," (Don't cry, Bani. May God keep them in a good place. They are in a good place now) he said, caressing her head. She nodded against his chest.

Banishree pulled back, looked at him, and said, "Doctor Babu, aap apne baare me kucho boliye," (Doctor Babu, tell me something about yourself) smiling at him. He hummed, taking a deep breath.

"Mera naam Arjun Malhotra hai, mera koi bhai behen nhi hai. Meri mummy teacher hai aur mere papa businessman hai. Mai 25 saal ka hu. Mai ek doctor hu. Mujhe pasta, paneer, pastries pasand hai," (My name is Arjun Malhotra. I don't have any siblings. My mother is a teacher, and my father is a businessman. I am 25 years old. I am a doctor. I like pasta, paneer, and pastries)

After having dinner, Arjun and Bani found a quiet spot to sit. Arjun shared, "Bani, hum Delhi midnight tak pahunch jayenge. Train char ghante late chal rahi hai," (Bani, we will reach Delhi by midnight. The train is running four hours late.)

The train reached Delhi at 1 o'clock in the morning. Arjun said, "Bani, hum pohoch gye," taking their luggage. ( Bani. We are here.)

She walked behind him as they exited the station. He booked a cab, and she was unusually quiet during the ride. They reached the college campus, and Bani looked around with wide eyes. Arjun held her hand and said, "Bani, chup rehna, kuch bolna Matt jab tak hum pohoch nhi jate mere room tak." She nodded. ( Bani just stay quiet until we reach my room.)

Climbing up the stairs slowly, he was unlocking the door when he heard, "What the heck…"

************************************

Silent readers please vote and comment.

Target : 50+ votes

Hare Krishna