01

Chapter 1

Underneath the vast Bihar sky, as the sun dipped low, casting a warm glow over the village, Banishree found herself on the terrace, a makeshift stage for her dreams. The rhythmic beats of "Chikni Chameli" echoed in the air as she swayed to the music, lost in the fantasy of Bollywood lights.

Amidst her twirls and spins, Banishree's eyes sparkled with the unspoken yearning for a life beyond the horizon. Each dance step was a rebellion against the ordinary, a silent promise to the stars that her fate would be written in the constellations of fame.

Yet, destiny, often disguised in the mundane, had other plans. As the echoes of her dreams reverberated in the quiet village, her aunt's voice pierced through the melody, "Arey ooh Banishreeya! bas karo tumhara nachna gana. Tanik niche aao aur madad karo humari.”

(Oh Banishree, Enough of these movie antics! Come down and help me with the laundry.)

Murmuring and pouting she reached the open area in front of the common bathroom. “Dekho maami, hum bol de rahe hai. Hum na bahut te hi badi eeshtar banenge, ye sab kam humse na ho payega,” Banishree said, pouting more. Blowing on her nails.

[See, Aunt( maternal uncle's wife) I am telling you, one day I will become a huge movie star. I can't do all this.]

Her Aunt, Rani, laughed, “Tum aur abhinetri? Konsa Nasha ki ho?Sapna dekhna band karo aur kaam karo. Din bhar khana, nachna aur ghode bech ke Sona. Yehi kaam hai tumko.”

[ You and actress? What are you high on? Stop dreaming and do some work. All you do is eat, dance and sleep throughout the damn day.]

Banishree pouted, enough that her brows drew together. She mumbled to herself how she would one day become a huge actress and prove her wrong.

She sat on the small wooden stool and started rubbing the fabric with a cloth scrubber. Again losing herself in delivering dialogues.

“Ek chutki Sindoor ki keemat tum kya jaano Ramesh babu … Ishwar ka aashirwad hota hai ek chutki Sindur … Suhagan ke sarr ka Taj hota hai ek chutki Sindoor … Har aurat ka khwab hota hai ek chutki Sindoor…,” She said while mimicking Deepika Padukone's iconic dialogue from Om Shanti Om. She was again lost in her own filmy world.

Rani shook her head. “Hey Bhagwan, kya hoga iss ladki ka. Prabhu kuch kijiye.” Mumbling she started doing the laundry.

[ God, Do Something about this crazy girl.]

Banishree was 7 when she lost her parents in a flood. After that she lived with her father's family for a few years but faced abuse there. Not being able to stand the ill treatment of his only niece, Raju Yadav, banishrees' maternal uncle brought Bani to live with him and Rani.

Raju and Rani didn't have any children of their own. They had raised Banishree as their own since the day they took her in.

As Banishree continued her dance on the terrace, lost in the rhythm of her Bollywood dreams, Rani, her weathered aunt, looked up from the courtyard, a knowing smile etching lines of affection on her face. The music wove a temporary escape for Banishree, and in that moment, Rani found joy in witnessing her niece's uninhibited joy.

Just as the dance reached its crescendo, a figure emerged at the entrance. Raju, a weathered but kind-faced man, stood there with a bag slung over his shoulder and an umbrella in hand. A wry smile played on his lips as he observed Banishree's antics, shaking his head in amusement.

"Listen, Bani," Raju called out, his voice carrying a blend of familiarity and concern. "Kal, kuch doctor seher se aa rahe hai hamare gaon me. Jaake tum apni jaanch karwa aana beta. (Tomorrow, some doctors from Delhi are visiting our village. Go and get yourself checked, and they'll prescribe some meds for you.)"

Banishree, still lost in the world of her dance, nodded absentmindedly.

Banishree was suffering from severe breast pain and often discharged white liquid from her breasts. She at times felt tired and irritated.

In the dimly lit hostel room of X Medical College in Delhi, Arjun sat amidst a cacophony of cheers and groans as a football match unfolded on the television screen. His friends, sprawled on mismatched chairs and bean bags, engaged in the age-old ritual of bonding over sports.

Just as the atmosphere buzzed with the thrill of the game, Arjun's phone disrupted the scene, displaying the unmistakable name "Alia." A collective smirk danced across the faces of his friends, accompanied by a whistle attempting to tease the young OBGYN resident. Alia was his girlfriend of two months. And Arjun was the only one who had a girlfriend amongst his friends.

Arjun, sensing the need for privacy, excused himself from the football banter and stepped outside to answer the call. His fingers swiped the screen, and he greeted her with a warm "Hello."

"Baby, I'm going on a Europe trip with my friends," Alia's voice echoed through the phone, carrying an excitement that lingered in the air.

As Alia excitedly shared the details of her upcoming European adventure, Arjun listened attentively, the distant sounds of his friends' banter fading into the background. As the conversation neared its end, a gentle seriousness crept into Arjun's voice.

"Hey, Alia," he began, his tone a blend of concern and care. "Make sure you stay safe during your trip. Europe is beautiful, but you know how things can be unpredictable. Keep an eye out for each other, and don't take unnecessary risks."

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line, and Arjun could almost sense Alia's smile through the phone. "Of course, Arjun. I promise to be careful. You know me."

A faint reassurance echoed in her words, and with a tender smile forming on his face, Arjun replied, "I do know you. But I can't help being a worried doctor sometimes. Just take care, okay? And have an amazing time. See you in a month."

Alia's laughter tinkled through the phone. As he hung up, the hostel corridor enveloped him once again.

The rhythmic hum of the bus engine created a backdrop for Arjun and Chola Singh as they gazed out of the window. The landscape transformed from the concrete jungle of Patna into the sprawling green fields of the village outskirts. The sun dipped low, casting a warm glow over the fields that stretched like a verdant quilt beneath the vast Indian sky.

Chola, nudging Arjun, remarked, "Quite a change from the Delhi chaos, huh?" Chola was a paediatrician.

Arjun nodded, a faint smile playing on his lips. "It's refreshing, isn't it? Reminds you of the simplicity we often overlook."

The bus rolled on, carrying with it a diverse group of doctors and a few nurses, all geared up for the medical camp in Dholpur. The anticipation buzzed in the air, a shared commitment to bring healthcare where it was needed the most.

As they passed through the village outskirts, Arjun overheard snippets of excited chatter from fellow doctors.

"I heard the cases are challenging but rewarding."

"Let's make a real difference out there."

Amidst the dialogue, the fields stretched endlessly, their vibrant green offering a momentary respite from the demanding corridors of city hospitals. The bus rattled along, weaving through the fabric of rural life, carrying not just doctors but the promise of change.

Chola Singh, looking at the fields, spoke softly, "I wonder how many stories are hidden in these villages. So much we don't see in our day-to-day rush."

Arjun nodded, acknowledging the truth in his friend's words. "Today, we get a glimpse."

************************************

Please vote and comment
Hare Krishna