10

Chapter 10

Banishree was sitting outside the sonography room at the radiology department. To say she was nervous would be an understatement. Her hands were fidgeting, and she tapped her feet anxiously. Arjun noticed her unease and placed a reassuring hand on her knee. She looked up at him, and Arjun smiled warmly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ears.

The nurse called them inside, and they entered the room together.

The radiologist, Dr. Swati Sharma, looked up and smiled upon spotting Arjun. "If it isn't the hottest resident of the hospital. How has he graced the radiology department with his presence?" she quipped, her tone light and teasing.

Arjun chuckled at her comment. "Well, I'm here with my wife to get a breast USG done," he replied, gesturing towards Banishree who stood beside him, a nervous expression on her face.

Dr. Sharma nodded, her smile turning reassuring as she addressed Banishree. "Don't worry, dear. You'll be just fine. Please come and lie down on the examination table."

Banishree nodded, albeit hesitantly, and followed Dr. Sharma's instructions. Arjun stood by her side, giving her a reassuring nod.

The doctor instructed Banishree to take off her kurti for the procedure. Arjun, sensing her nervousness, quietly reassured her, "Shree, I'll be waiting for you outside, okay?" He gently patted her head, but Banishree tightly held onto his wrist.

"Doctor babu, humka bohot te hi dar lag raha," (I'm very scared)Banishree voiced her fear. Arjun felt a pang in his heart at her words. "I'm right outside, Shree. Nothing will happen," he said, trying to comfort her. Instinctively, he bent down and placed a kiss on her forehead.

Her cheeks immediately flushed with warmth, turning scarlet at the unexpected gesture of affection.

After the sonography was done, Banishree walked out of the room to find Arjun leaning against the wall, bathed in sunlight as it streamed through the windows. The rays accentuated his features, making him appear even more handsome in Banishree's eyes. She couldn't help but feel a flutter in her heart as she approached him.

Arjun looked up from his phone as he sensed her approaching footsteps, and a warm smile spread across his face when he saw her.

Throughout the day, Banishree underwent a battery of lab tests, ranging from MRIs to X-rays. Arjun stood by her side, offering reassurance and support every step of the way. Despite the discomfort and anxiety, Banishree persevered, guided by Arjun's comforting presence. Each test brought them closer to understanding her condition, and Arjun remained steadfast in his commitment to her well-being.

As Arjun entered the room at 2 in the night, he expected Banishree to be fast asleep. However, he found her sitting on the bed, engrossed in reading the Hindi novel he had brought her the previous day, "Godaan" by Munshi Premchand. Her eyes lit up when she spotted him.

"Tum soyi nhi, shree?" (You're not asleep yet, Shree?) he asked as he accepted the glass of water Banishree offered.

She shook her head. "Woh humko neend nahi aa rahi thi," (I couldn't sleep) she answered.

As Arjun quickly took a shower, his heart swirled with a mix of emotions. He found Banishree asleep, her vulnerability tugging at his heartstrings. Chuckling softly, he gently adjusted her, laying her down on the bed and covering her with a quilt. In the process, Banishree stirred, her eyelids fluttering open, revealing the depth of her emotions.

Their eyes met, locking in a silent exchange that spoke volumes. Banishree's gaze held a mixture of longing and courage as she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer. Arjun felt a rush of conflicting emotions flood his senses, his own heart pounding against his chest.

With her breath laboured, Banishree tightly closed her eyes, on the verge of bridging the gap between them with a kiss. But Arjun, overwhelmed by his internal turmoil, took a step back, his voice heavy with regret as he uttered, "Sorry Shree. I can't do this."

Hurt and disappointment pierced through Banishree's gaze as she turned away, her misty eyes betraying the pain within. "Maafi chahte hai Doctor babu. Aayenda Aisa nhi karenge," she whispered, her voice tinged with sadness and resignation. ( I ask for your forgiveness, Doctor Babu. Won't do it again)

**********************************

Target 100 votes

Thanks a lot for waiting, dear readers. My brother is better than before and my hand is getting better as well. All thanks to your well wishes ❤️

Hare Krishna