14

Chapter 14

The soft melody of Arjun's phone disrupted the tranquil silence of the early morning. Groggily, he extended his arm and fumbled for the device, finally managing to grasp it.

"Happy birthday to you..." The cheerful chorus of his parents greeted him through the phone's speaker, warming his heart despite the early hour.

With a sleepy smile, Arjun mumbled his gratitude. "Thank you, Maa, Papa."

"We're video calling you, pick it up!" his mother insisted, her excitement evident in her voice.

Arjun complied, tapping on the video call option and adjusting the phone to capture his sleepy face. As the call connected, he noticed the well-lit background of his parents' home, illuminated by the gentle morning sunlight.

"Good morning, beta!" his father greeted, his face beaming with joy.

"Morning, Dad. Morning, Mom," Arjun replied, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

Just as the conversation began to flow, a sudden movement from the bed caught Arjun's attention. Banishree, still lost in the land of dreams, shifted in her sleep and accidentally rolled off the bed, landing directly on Arjun, who was sprawled out on the floor.

"Aah!" Both Arjun and Banishree exclaimed in surprise and pain as they collided.

The unexpected commotion caused Arjun's parents to gasp in shock, their eyes widening as they witnessed the chaotic scene unfolding before them through the video call.

"Doctor ba..." Banishree began, her voice muffled by Arjun's palm as he swiftly covered her mouth, shooting her a panicked glance.

Arjun glanced at the screen, meeting his parents' stunned expressions. "Uh... sorry, Mom, Dad. Just a little... morning mishap," he stammered, his cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

His parents stared back at him in disbelief, their mouths still hanging open in shock. For a moment, silence enveloped the video call as everyone processed the unexpected turn of events.

Trying to diffuse the awkwardness, Arjun cleared his throat and attempted to lighten the mood. "Well, this is certainly one way to start the day," he joked weakly, offering a sheepish smile.

All he wanted to do at that moment was to go bang his head on the wall. How was he even supposed to explain, Banishrees’ presence? He could already see his parents judging him. What a great start to his birthday.

His parents exchanged bewildered glances before his mother finally managed to speak. "Who is she, Arjun?" she asked.

Running a hand through his hair, Arjun muttered under his breath, "Yehi baaki tha. Maa... uh." He hesitated for a moment before turning to Banishree beside him. "This is Banishree. My wife," he announced, his voice tinged with apprehension.

"Namaste Mummy ji, Babu ji," Banishree greeted, her nerves palpable in her voice. She couldn't help but feel responsible for landing Arjun in yet another predicament with her clumsiness.

Arjun watched as his parents' faces registered a rapid succession of emotions, from surprise to confusion, and finally settling on a mix of shock and disbelief. He knew he had a lot of explaining to do.

Before he could say anything more, his mother's voice came through the phone, firm and decisive. "We are coming to your college," she declared, her tone leaving no room for argument. With that, the call was abruptly disconnected, leaving Arjun and Banishree to exchange worried glances as they braced themselves for the inevitable confrontation with his parents.

Banishree had her head bowed down, feeling guilty. Arjun saw it and gently lifted her chin with his thumb and forefinger. Tears streamed down her cheeks.