07

Chapter 7

Arjun freshened up in the common washroom and started preparing tea in the electric kettle. As he heard the tap in the bathroom go off, he turned his head towards the washroom door.

Banishree stepped out in a yellow salwar kameez, and Arjun felt his heart momentarily stopping. He carefully observed her as she went towards the small wooden temple, prayed, and lit a diya and incense sticks.

She turned around and smiled at him, but Arjun was still in a daze, captivated by her beauty. She came and stood in front of him, waving her hand to bring him back to reality.

"Doctor Babu, aap chai bhi bana lete hai?" she asked. ("Doctor Babu, you can also make tea?")

"Haan ji," he said, handing her a cup of tea. She sipped on the tea and moaned, "Mmhhh. Bohut te hi badhiya bani hai chai. Ek dum jhakaas chai hai." ("Mmhhh. This tea is really good. It's fantastic tea.")

Arjun chuckled and said, "Dhanyawad." ("Thank you.") "Tumhara dard kaisa hai?" he asked, pointing at her breasts. ("How is your pain?")

"Abhi thik hai," she answered. "Udhar haath lagane se ya sote waqt boht dard hota hai." ("It's fine for now. But It hurts a lot when I touch there or while sleeping.")

He nodded. "Aaj tumhare saare tests karwa layenge. Ready rehna ek baje." ("Today, we'll get all your tests done. Be ready by one o'clock.")

"Accha bani mujhe bahar Jana hai. Aaj OPD hai. Mai 1 baje Tak wapas aaunga," he said, taking out a formal grey pants and a crisp white shirt. ("Okay, I need to go out. I have OPD today. I'll be back by one o'clock.")

"Mai tumhara breakfast bhijwa dunga 9 baje ke aas paas. Kha lena," he said, disappearing into the washroom to change. ("I'll send your breakfast around 9 o'clock. Eat it.")

Arjun changed inside the washroom, his mind preoccupied with thoughts of his wife's beautiful eyes. The reflection in the mirror seemed to echo the image of Banishree's captivating gaze, making it difficult for him to focus on the task at hand. As he buttoned his shirt, he found himself momentarily lost in the memory of her smile.

Meanwhile, Banishree rummaged through the drawers, discovering packets of instant noodles, oats, and millets. A sense of responsibility took over her as she quickly washed the kettle with water. Pouring water into the kettle, she promptly made some instant oats, following the picture instructions on the back of the packet. She recalled observing how Arjun had used the kettle, efficiently navigating through the unfamiliar appliance.

Arjun stepped out of the bathroom, dressed in the formals. He stood in front of the mirror, meticulously styling his hair, wearing his watch, and applying his citrus woody cologne.

Banishree, sitting on the bed, carefully observed each and every activity of Arjun. "Doctor Babu, suniye," she said. ("Doctor Babu, listen.")

Turning around, Arjun faced her. "Haan, Shree bolo?" he said. ("Yes, Shree, tell me.")

"Hum Naa aapke liye ye banaye hai," she said, holding up the empty packet of oats. "Woh kya hai na, humari maami bolti hai Khali pet ghar se nahi nikalna chahiye," she explained. ("I made this for you. You see, my aunt always says you shouldn't leave the house on an empty stomach.")

Arjun smiled at her thoughtfulness, briefly feeling a pang of nostalgia as if his mother was present. He sat down at his study table and started having the oats. Getting up, he took his stethoscope and apron, ready to leave.

"Chalta hu, Shree. Khayal rakhna, aur haan kuch zarurat ho toh call kar lena," he said, taking a pen from the penstand. ("I'm leaving, Shree. Take care, and if you need anything, just give me a call.")

"Doctor Babu," she called out. He turned around to face her. "Aap na Aaj... bahut hi... handsome lag rahe hai," she said, blushing and playing with the hem of her kameez. ("Doctor Babu, you look very handsome today.")

Arjun smiled, genuinely touched by her compliment. At that moment, he thought that the girl in front of him was the most adorable he had ever seen. While he had been called handsome many times in the past during high school and MBBS, it had never brought him so much genuine joy.

"Thanks," he said, leaving with a silly smile on his face.

Bani watched TV for a while, absorbing the mundane entertainment that flickered on the screen. Feeling a burst of energy, she decided to arrange the room, dusting every nook and cranny. After her industrious cleaning spree, she sat down for breakfast, enjoying the solitude, and later, fatigue settled in, prompting her to take a nap.

Meanwhile, Arjun was engrossed in consulting patients. In between appointments, he found himself sitting in his cabin with a silly smile on his face, reminiscing about his wife. The memories of her antics and the sweetness in her expressions lingered, creating a glow that refused to fade.

Chaman and Lola, sensing Arjun's unusual behaviour, entered the cabin and took their seats across from him. Lola, with hid characteristic directness, couldn't help but comment, "So, are you going to keep smiling like a crackhead, or tell us about everything? How did you even end up getting married? Didn't you go to the medical camp with others?"

Arjun realised that they were here for explanations. He took a deep breath, preparing himself for the forthcoming discussion. As they stared at him expectantly, he began explaining everything. Arjun recounted how he was reluctantly forced into getting married to Banishree, the unexpected turns that led to this unusual situation. The details spilled out as he narrated the story of a chance encounter, a mix-up of names, and the subsequent events that eventually led to a marital bond.

Chaman and Lola listened intently, their initial amusement transforming into a mix of surprise and understanding.

As Arjun concluded his account, the room fell into a thoughtful silence. Chaman and Lola exchanged glances, absorbing the unconventional tale they had just heard. Lola, breaking the silence, said, "Well, that's quite the rollercoaster you've found yourself on, Arjun."

Chaman added, "Fate does work in mysterious ways. But what matters now is how you handle it, Arjun."

Lola leaned forward, his expression serious, and said, "Now what happens with you and Alia?"

Arjun sighed, realising the inevitable complications awaiting him. "She would eat you alive. What do you plan on doing?" Lola continued, his directness cutting through any illusions of an easy solution.

Arjun pondered for a while, weighing the options in his mind. "I will come clean once she is back. I don't want to spoil her trip by telling her now," he responded, a hint of concern evident in his eyes.

Chaman and Lola exchanged glances, silently acknowledging the complexity of the situation.

***********************************
Vote and comment

Target: 65 votes

Hare Krishna