Chapter 7

BROOKE POV

I was not able to hold back my laughter after having a few drinks with the girls when I told them about the argument I had with Samuel, which caused him to vent his anger. That was a week ago, and yet again, I spent all week sorting out the wedding preparations. I couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt for finding humour in the situation, knowing that Samuel was still upset. Despite the stress of wedding planning, I made a mental note to address the issue with him and apologise for my part in the argument.

But I will do that after I let him stew some more so he can cool down before I drop another bombshell on him.

Oh boy, he's going to go into a complete meltdown when I tell him we have a cake tasting appointment in a couple of days, plus he's still got to sort out the suits for Lance and himself.

I've covered everything in my half of the folder, and Samuel has done nothing like he always does.

I even found time to work on the seating chart for the reception, which was on his to-do list, not my fucking list.

I glanced at my empty glass as Leah stepped back to the table with a tray full of drinks.

"You do know there are only three of us?" I remind Leah, and she shrugs as she glances at Ashlynn and then me.

"It just saves time going back up to the bar when it's so busy in here." Leah wasn't wrong; it was heaving with rowdy guys watching the damn football match on the large TV screen. The noise was deafening when the guys shouted at the screen during a tense moment in the game.

We picked the wrong night to go out for a quiet drink.

"So, what is it like living in the same house as the famous Samuel Hunter?" Ashlynn asked, and I gulped my drink back, not knowing how to respond. "Brooke." She glares at me, waiting for an answer, and so is Leah.

"We kissed." There, I got it out; it's in the open. And boy, my friends are staring at me with gaping mouths.

"You kissed?" Leah was questioning me, and I nodded, then Ashlynn smacked me on the arm.

"Are you fucking crazy? After everything that happened?" Ashlynn whisper—yells—but a few guys on the other table gawk at us.

"Thanks Ashlynn." I hissed as I gestured to the guys staring in our direction.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Leah pipes up, and I shrug, feeling the weight of their disappointment.

"I don't know; it just happened," I mumble, avoiding their eyes.

"Well, you better figure it out fast," Ashlynn warns, her tone serious.

"Brooke, we don't want to see you with a broken heart again." Leah was worried, too.

"Well, Rick is happy in his new relationship, and my sister is going to set me up with a date at her wedding." They glare with wide eyes.

"That's playing with fire." Leah states she then finished her drink and added, "You need to be careful, Brooke. Don't rush into anything just to avoid being alone." Ashlynn nodded in agreement, her expression softening with concern.

I know my friends are right, but I so want to have that connection with a guy, to feel the warmth of his fingers and his kisses over my exposed skin.

"Fuck, I need to get laid. I'm frustrated, and my damn vibrator is not helping." The girls laughed at my remark, but I noticed a guy smirk as he nodded at me.

Maybe I said that a little too loudly.

As the night went on, I couldn't shake the feeling of his eyes on me, and I found myself glancing back in his direction more than once. Eventually, he made his way over to our table and introduced himself as Alex.