10

Looking awful is an understatement compared to how I actually feel. Was this exactly how my dad felt when my mom told him about me? But we are not the same right? I mean he was married but still had an affair while I'm not.
Gosh I'm making excuses just to prove I'm not like him.

"Hey! Are you okay?" Heng got more worried as I got closer to him.

"Did something happen? Why have you suddenly become like this?" He continued.

This time I looked at him. Should I tell him about this? I have never kept anything from him. Nothing at all.

"Heng...." I called weakly but paused instantly.

I paused because of the image of Miss Armstrong flying around in my head. The sadness and disappointment I saw on her face when I grabbed my bag to leave. That obviously wasn't the reaction she was expecting. That must have hurt her so deeply and considering that she is the victim here. She never asked for this.

Leaving her alone in this is so terrible of me. Oh! why did I leave after hearing that? All these while I was only thinking about myself without considering her own feelings.

She is innocent. The only crime she committed was having a drink. I am the monster. I am no better than my dad. My heart continued piercing as I thought of her. I opened the car door but couldn't get in. Everything in me is telling me to go back inside. I should finish what I started. Running away isn't the best.

I immediately closed back the car and started walking back to the building.

"Where are you going?" Heng called for me.

I ignored him. I have something very important to settle with Miss Armstrong. He can go if he can't wait. I will just take a cab home after I'm through.

I went straight to my office but didn't see her. She already left? She must be in her office. I started walking as fast as my legs could carry me to her own office but she wasn't there either.

"Not here too? Where then did she go?" I mumbled.

I stayed for some minutes in her office to see if she can come in but she didn't. I grabbed my phone to call her but her contact was unavailable. I can't explain why but I started panicking. Exactly how I panicked during that one week she was off and her contact wasn't connecting.

I stormed out of her office instantly and met her second outside. She immediately bowed and greeted as soon as she saw me.

"Where did Miss Armstrong go?" I asked.

"About an hour ago, she said you sent for her and she left to your office" she responded

That was many minutes ago and she's no longer in my office. Where could she have gone from there?

"Are you saying she didn't come back to her office after then?" I asked.

"No ma. I also have a document to submit to her. But she hasn't come back yet"

Silence

"If she's not in your office nor hers maybe she went to the mini room"

"What is that?"

"It's a private area she goes to recharge whenever she gets overwhelmed with work" she said with a smile.

Is there a place like that? Really? I think that's where she is. I need to check there first before thinking the worst.

"Please take me there."

She bowed in agreement and started walking out of the unit. I followed her. We stopped infront of the door that looks more like a very small storage room.