𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 23

Chapter 24 and 25 are available on ScrollStack!

Happy Reading💌

◾◽◾

As I swiftly strode through the office corridor towards the elevator, everyone greeted me with a "good afternoon," but I simply nodded forward, keeping my head held high

As I swiftly strode through the office corridor towards the elevator, everyone greeted me with a "good afternoon," but I simply nodded forward, keeping my head held high. I had crafted an aura that made everyone in the office apprehensive of me. Maintaining an expressionless face, I entered the private elevator and pressed the button for the 25th floor.

Upon reaching my cabin floor, I encountered Harish stepping out of his cabin. As soon as he saw me, he hurried towards me and said, "Sir, we've completed the background check on Rhea ma'am, and there are some things you should personally review." He spoke and began to follow me.

I remained silent, continuing to move forward. When I arrived, the receptionist greeted me with a bow, rising from her seat. I've only kept one personal receptionist here. Upon reaching my cabin's door, Harish opened it for me, and I gave him a curt nod before entering. He followed behind me.

Seating myself at my desk, Harish stood opposite me. "The file is on your desk, sir," he said, then stood there.

As I opened the file and began to read, my expression gradually shifted. My eyes scanned every word meticulously, and as I delved deeper, a surge of anger coursed through my veins. It became visible on my face as I stumbled upon something significant related to Rhea's past. Yet, despite reading carefully, a nagging feeling persisted-a sense that something crucial was still eluding me.

I flipped through the pages again, scrutinizing every detail. The weight of responsibility bore down on me as I realized the implications of what I had uncovered. However, amidst the turmoil of emotions, there was a sense of urgency-a need to uncover the missing pieces of the puzzle. With determination, I resolved to dig deeper, to unearth the truth hidden within the shadows of Rhea's past.

I erupted, "There's nothing in here!" and forcefully threw the file onto the table. "Aside from Rhea's childhood and some background, there's nothing substantial," I said, frustration evident as I ran my hand through my hair.

"That's true, sir, and I have my doubts about it too," he replied.

"I have the same feeling, Harish," I said, rising from my chair in anger and standing near the floor-to-ceiling window wall.

The file detailed Rhea's childhood, her father's death, her mother's mistreatment, her limited education, her mother's preference for her brother, and her brother's love for her. Apart from that, there was nothing else.

"Someone has already tampered with this before us," Harish said, his voice trembling with the fear of my potential explosion.

"And the most crucial piece has been removed," I turned and said to him. "Rhea's mother didn't love her, and it's evident from their current behaviour. Her mother used to love both of them dearly before her husband's death. How did he die?" I asked Harish.