The Plot Thickens

The first thing Sophie could smell was smoke. At first she thought it was a wildfire, which was common in Florida, where her human family was relocated to. 

Sophie took out a goblin throwing star and readied herself to throw it at the first person she saw. She wasn't going to let Gisela get away this time. Not anymore. 

Sophie stepped onto the dusty, wooden porch and tried to open the door. She was surprised when the door easily opened at her touch, and was clearly left unlocked, which was proof the Fosters had long vacated the home. Sophie knew her mother would never leave the front door unlocked. 

But do I really know them anymore? Sophie thought as she sat down at the porch and tugged out an eyelash. Think, Sophie, think. 

She'd already lost half a year, and still hadn't seen the twins yet. Gisela was under custody after her attack on the Vackers at her human parent's house, which Sophie didn't understand. Why would Gisela want to torture her family again? Now Sophie had no clue where to find Adair and how to fix the interspecies turmoil going on. And to top all of that off, Sophie had just abandoned Keefe. Not being able to take it anymore, Sophie got up and threw all of her goblin stars at the windows, shattering all the glass. 

Sophie was about to light leap away and accept defeat when she heard movement inside the house. Sophie rushed back to the window and peered through it, and saw Adair with scars from the shattered glass, hunched under a table, trying not to wince in pain. 

Serves him right, Sophie thought, but she soon helped him up, and pinned him against the wall.

"What did you tell the humans?" Sophie said, pushing harder into Adair's scars as he struggled to free himself.

"Nothing they wouldn't have found out," Adair said scathingly. Sophie didn't understand why he wasn't cooperating. Gisela was imprisoned. It was over.

"You have no one to protect you, Adair," Sophie warned him, "the sooner you tell me everything, the more likely I am to leave you intact."

To her surprise, Adair smirked. It was just like Fitz's. "Do you even know where Gisela is?"

Sophie's grip faltered. She knew Gisela was imprisoned, but no one told her where. "In Exile." She guessed, not wanting to show Adair he had the upper hand. 

"Here's some information for you, Sophie Elizabeth Foster. It's not the information you're looking for but it's probably more important. Gisela is a puppet, just like you. Think about it, what would a low life criminal gain from telling the humans our secrets. Only someone in a position of power would have something to gain because of this chaos. And you know who it is, deep in that precious moonlark mind of yours, but you'll never accept it. Gisela knows that, and she knows you'll go after her again and again, in circles, and you'll never. Get. Anywhere." 

Sophie falters again, and Adair pushes a melder against her forehead. "Gisela knows exactly what you're going to do. You're going to go after ex-Neverseen members repeatedly just because we were your enemies ten years ago. Enemies change."

"Where's Fitz?" Sophie asked, her face turning red, from anger or fear, she didn't know. 

Adair sighed. "Really? After all that? Fine. If you want to run in circles, I won't stop you."

He shoved a piece of parchment into Sophie's hands and light leaped away.

Sophie stood there, staring at the corner Adair had been in a second ago. She knew everything he said wasn't a diversion tactic because everything he said made sense. She knew Gisela operated in secrecy, and yet, she went after her again and again, because if Gisela wasn't to blame, then someone close to her was. And Sophie didn't want to have to think about that chances of that happening. 

Sophie ran out of the house, not knowing where to go, or who to trust. She sat at the base of a nearby tree and began to think. Who could it be? Who had something to gain from the humans? Who would be willing to become close to Sophie just to destroy her? Sophie sat at the base of the tree until nightfall, and just when she was about to give up, her heart skipped a beat.

Sophie stood up, her eyes wide in horror.

All she could hear was the rapid beating of her own heart. 

Of course.