the next stage

The first thing Sophie felt was the blinding sun burning her forehead. "Where are we?" 

"I think this is India" Keefe said as Sophie finally opened her eyes.

Sophie opened her eyes and realized they were right in the middle of a city, she just didn't know which one. 

"We need to get out of the open," Sophie said as she dragged Keefe and the twins out of sight. 

"We have to find a secluded place so we can contact Forkle" Keefe mumbled.

"I know" Sophie said, as she dragged them through the crowds, "I just need to find a way-"

"உங்களுக்கு சவாரி தேவையா?" A girl called out to them, and she happened to be driving a rickshaw.

"ஆம்மாம், எங்களை ஒதுக்குப்புறமான பகுதிக்கு அழைத்துச் செல்ல முடியுமா?" Sophie asked her, as she dragged Keefe and the twins onto the rickshaw.

"Of course!" the girl responded, somehow knowing her English was a lot better, just like the man in Germany.

"What did you ask her?" Keefe whispered.

"I asked her to take us to a secluded spot, hopefully we can ask Forkle if he's learned anything" Sophie told him, as she watched Willow fall asleep in Keefe's arms while Kenric was too busy staring longingly at the food all around him.

After an hour Sophie found herself in a calming meadow, with a river nearby. 

Sophie pulled out her imparter. "Mr. Forkle, we need to talk-"

Sophie looked up as Keefe let out a yelp. Mr. Forkle had somehow found them in under a second.

"WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING IN THE FORBIDDEN CITIES?" Forkle said, his face turning red. "HAVEN'T YOU HEARD THE COUNCIL'S ANNOUNCEMENTS".

"Um- in case you haven't noticed- we kinda left the Lost Cities-" Keefe reminded him.

"They know about us, don't they" Sophie whispered, trying to ignore the pain in her foot as she stood up.

Forkle just nodded as Keefe looked at both of them bewildered.

"Who knows about-" he started, when realization dawned on him. "The humans. They know we exist. That means something happened".

Mr. Forkle looked at Sophie warily, "our information shows that Adair has probably informed the human authorities and leaders about our existence. On the bright side, Lady Gisela has been caugt, it should be safe in the Lost Cities for you both- for now".

Sophie's head snapped up. "You caught GISELA? How? Who did it?"

Forkle sighed. "After you left, Lady Gisela made a surprise appearance at Everglen, obviously assuming you would both be there, so you can imagine her disappointment when she only saw the Vackers".

"What happened?" Keefe asked.

"Good thing Alden was there with Emery, otherwise we would have missed her" Mr. Forkle continued, "But this win was not without casualties".

Sophie's heart stopped. "Who died?" She asked, closing her eyes. Please don't let it be...

"Biana Vacker died a hero's death" Mr. Forkle said, his eyes glistening, probably even crying, but Sophie couldn't tell. She couldn't hear a thing.

"Sophie! Sophie!" She heard Keefe yelled as he shook her shoulders. She saw tears pour down his cheeks too, but she could barely hear them.

Sophie yanked her arms away from Keefe and started to run. It was dangerous. The world was looking for the elves. But she didn't care.

One of her best friends dead.

Sophie kept running and running. She couldn't see where she was, where she was going. All she saw were lights. Until she heard something. A loud horn. People yelling.

It was too late. The last thing Sophie felt was something hitting her and a scream that sounded like Keefe's.

Everything went dark.