chapter fourteen | new

Start from the beginning

I'm dead.

And it is literal.

It's one AM, I don't know how many glasses I've drank. The servants kept pouring and pouring while we're talking cozily in front of the big fireplace with Mister Anderson on the other side with a couple of his, I might say, girlfriends,who's getting cozier by every passing minute on his arms. While I'm, on the other hand, has been occupied talking to his friend who's name I can't remember, but she's pretty.

What the hell am I doing here? I look over the time to make sure, and damn right... I'm two hours late. A freakishly-annoying-shriek snapped me out of my trance as my attention turns to one of the girls on Mister Anderson side. I grimaced, disgusting. He just celebrated his wedding anniversary and he has the audacity to stay here and hang out with his friends plus me?

Am I what's been keeping Mister Anderson occupied, or the other way around? Where we both should tend to the woman who yearns our presence the most. I know for a fact; Domenica has been expecting my presence. And why the hell am I still doing here debating my existence where I could just get my ass up and go?

I push myself off the couch and grab my suit jacket, ready to get the hell out of this room, until Mister Anderson says, "Whoa, whoa, where are you going kid? We still got lots to talk about. Better yet, you should come with us for the afterparty." Mister Anderson slurred. Isn't this the afterparty?

"I really should get going, sir. It's already, really late. My pops wouldn't like that." I nervously chuckled. My pops don't really give a shit, to be honest.

"Alright, alright, Jaxon. Have a goodnight!"

I gave a quick nod before turning on my heels and briskly walking out of the room. Glancing back to check if Mister Anderson was still occupied, I made a dash upstairs to attend to his wife. With each step, my heart raced faster. Unsure if I was more excited or anxious to see her, knowing I had messed up by being late.

As I reached the big double doors in front of me, I took a deep breath before I let my fist collide with the wooden door. I knocked three times, before I slowly opens the door. "Domenica?" I called out, my voice wavering slightly.

I notice her back is faced to me, she's still in her dress. I decided to slowly steps into her safe zone and closing the door gently behind me. I pursed my lips, I noticed the crackling flames from the fireplace cast a warm, comforting light, gently illuminating the cozy furnishings arranged around it. A thick rug sprawled across the floor, offering a soft landing for weary feet, I could just imagine so much. In this tranquil setting, the gentle crackle of the fire provided a soothing soundtrack, creating a perfect ambiance for quiet reflection or intimate conversation.

"I know, I'm so sorry, I'm late." I sighed, "Mister Anderson wanted to introduced me to his friend who's in the architecture business and I thought that would be cool... You know?"

I noticed a glass of scotch on her hands, I watched it disappear to her front, taking a sip from it. She slowly turns around, her eyes instantly landed on mine. I couldn't tell what she's currently thinking about, but I know damn sure, she wants me to suffer bad; for making her wait this long. The glass is no longer in her hand as she softly place it on her desk. She made her way around until she stood in the middle of the room.

"Get over here, Jaxon," she said, her voice firm yet tinged with a hint of softness. I swallowed, realizing I had been holding my breath, and then slowly made my way towards her, unsure of what to expect.

"Domenica, I—" I began, but she swiftly raised her index finger, silencing me. Her head tilted to the side, a frown creasing her brow as her eyes narrowed.