chapter one | edited

Jaxon.

Business has been going on very slow. Especially when the only employee slashed partner that you have is your only son where he had to drop out of college because of his family's insufficient funds. It wasn't a choice but it was a reality. I personally didn't mind that I had to, I suck at economics and business. I took it because my dad wanted me to, he thinks graduating with the diploma will make it easier to get into any offices. But I wasn't loving it, maybe it was god's plan for me to drop out and screw up our family's financial—It wasn't a pleasant experience, but at the same time it was a relief for myself.

I wanted to pursue art & history. I like painting, I like crafting. I'm pretty sure I could make a shit tons of money out of those. But parents will be parents, they will doubt everything that you want in the name of you need to have a secure future.

"Jaxon, your dad wants you outside!" My step-mother, Lora, calls out my name from downstairs.

I holler back, "I'll be out in a minute!"

But I don't think my step-mother would agree to that, "Now! It seemed important!"

I sighed and push myself off of my bed along with slamming my phone down to the duvet. I literally had to gather all my strength in me to push myself off of my comfortable position. I was in the middle of scrolling down through my Pinterest to gain some kind of inspiration for my next sketch. Walking out to our small hallway, I climbed down the stairs to find my step-mother standing at the foot of it with her hands on her hips.

"I told you to clean the dishes hours ago, which part of my sentences you didn't understand?" She barked. I fight the urge to roll my eyes, I might slightly hate her sometimes. She would always throw fits about how I never took care around the house which is not true.

"I'll do it later." I walk pass her and proceed to make my way towards the back door.

"You better not forget, young man! And don't use too much soap, for god sake's you always use too much soap don't you realize that..." Her voice registered as muffled and smaller inside my head.

"What do you need, dad?" Stepping out of the house and closing the door, my dad is sitting at the porch with a beer on his left hand and his phone on his right.

"Sit down, boy." I watched as he placed his phone on his pocket before patting the ground of the porch. I sat down beside him and lean myself forward, my arms hung on my knees.

"That was my first client, Missus Anderson on the phone. She called me wondered if we could decorate her entire backyard with a new gazebo, some sets of flowers, tend and care for her gardens."

"That's a ton of work. What did you say?"

He pursed his lips with a tiny smile while looking down to the ground before he looks at me, "I told her we'll take it."

"Dad, You know it's just the two of us and it's a shitload of work! She must've expected to be done by at least 3 months, isn't she?"

"She expected 3 months for the gazebo, for decorating and tend her gardens... She expect us for a lifetime.."

"Are you saying she's hiring us as her personal gardener?" My dad nodded his head excitingly.

"It's a good offer, Jax! When we earn a pretty good money from there, we'll start our own gardening business!" My dad excitedly explain which I couldn't help but break out a smile. It has been a while since I saw him this excited. My dad has always dream of having a big business of his own. He wants to create an employment for gardeners, or people out there who needed one. If he thinks this is the right opportunity that he needed to take for him to start his plan, then of course, I wouldn't want to be the person to tell him no.