chapter two | edited

Jaxon.

"I'm going out for a walk."

"It's 10 PM, what are you doing during that walk?" My step-mother asked, her tone laced with bewilderment. I ignore her and close the door once I put on my hoodie and stuff my hands inside the pocket.

I couldn't sleep.

It has only been two days since working at the Anderson's. I don't hate it. I just don't like the fact that I kept thinking about the missus. I couldn't possibly have a crush on a married woman, right? Or am I? There's just something about her that makes me want to... Explore. Whenever I'd caught her gaze, time seemed to halt, and the world faded away, leaving only the two of us in a cocoon of shared emotions. There was something profoundly magnetic about the way her eyes met mine, an unspoken connection that defied explanation.

My lips pursed as my brain rewind the conversations that I picked,

"Mister Anderson didn't come home last night, and I overheard their argument just a couple nights ago."

"Do you think he's cheating on her?"

"Lydia, don't you dare say such things!"

I overheard the two maids chatting in the kitchen island just today as I was about to walk in to grab another jug of cold water. It was gossip but when I heard it, my heart couldn't help but breaks for her. It angers me if the gossip is true, I want to do something about it. Hell, the least I could do was probably paint his gazebo bright yellow instead of wood brown.

Why the hell I couldn't stop thinking about her? She's my employer for god's sake! She wouldn't care about me, she wouldn't even look my way twice. If she hadn't spilled that coffee on me she definitely wouldn't look at my way. Have you ever had this feeling in your heart, your whole body, as you crave something so bad but you couldn't have it? It annoys you isn't it? It really annoys me.

Her hair, brunette.

Her eyes, beautiful brown.

Her lips, perfectly shaped.

Her cheeks, chubby though very kissable.

I look at my phone to find out it's nearly 10:30, I'm standing in front of a store's fridge to grab a Sprite then turn my back to grab a Snickers bar. I walk up to the cashier to find Alex, a 28 year old guy who works his ass as a Store clerk always starts his shift at 8 PM then ends at 4 AM.

"I don't understand you, Stoll. You're buffy-manly looking, you're pretty tall, when they see a guy like you walking down the street with their hoodie on, hands shoved inside their pockets, they'd expect you to buy a crate of beer. Yet, you come in here always at 10:20 to buy a snickers and a sprite."

"Do I really make a habit out of it?" I chuckled.

"I'm an observer." He took a drag of his cigarette before blowing the smoke away. "Please, do tell me about your problems this time, Stoll." Alex is a high school dropout, he spent his life working at his family small store, this store. He would get high sometimes, he would get in fights, but I'd tell this guy everything that's been going through my head. He doesn't judge, he'd just listen, when he has to say something about things, he would say it straightforward. I'm pretty sure this guy is not only a stranger, but my personal therapist.

I contemplated whether I should talk about this tonight with him, I said it before, he doesn't judge. But, I'm just not sure how he would react that I have a crush on a somewhat a 30 year old married woman, who is my employer. So, I tell him to have a goodnight along with grabbing my things then walk away.