Chapter 248: Kamchatka Wilderness, Soviet Union, 1960

Kamchatka Wilderness

Soviet Union

1960

Emily looked up, blinking hard, staring across the horizon. "Damn, they're ugly. What the hell are those?"

Lizavet and Indy followed her gaze. There was something misshapen, yet eerily human-like moving toward them. A whole line of strange shimmering dark creatures, striking fear into the four humans.

"Apkallu," Indy growled, moving forward, putting Lizavet and Emily behind him. "The same ones I saw at the museum, and at Edo's camp. And the Temple of Doom." He glanced back at Emily. "Why can you see them?"

"Shaman drugs, Dad,"

Indy stared at Lizavet. "You gave Em shaman drugs?"

"They are also healing herbs," Lizavet answered softly, uncertain at Indy's reaction. "Her injury was painful. These remove pain and prevent infection by covering the wound. We didn't have any clean bandages."

"Its herbals, Dad. I'll be ok." Emily smiled, drawing two of the swords of Diya.

"Herbals are where ancient medicine began," Lizavet explained, also drawing her sword. "It has only been recently that your modern science purified the healing compounds and were using them to... be unproductive and harmful."

Emily grinned, handing Lizavet a second sword. "It wasn't on your list, Dad."

Indy shook his head slightly, grinning. "I love you kids."

"What is on this list?" Lizavet asked.

Shorty immediately ticked the list off on his fingers, just like Indy had. "Don't die, don't unleash any ancient evils, try not to make anything explode -"

"Don't eat, sniff or drink from random sacred items," Indy interrupted, tossing a sword to Shorty. "And wake me up when we get there," he finished. "If we get there..." He glanced at the volcano, still spewing ash as the oddly bent creatures moved closer.

"That is a good list," Lizavet mused, trying to swallow her fear. Her dark eyes were locked on the incoming apkallu.

Emily looked at her father, handing the final sword to him. They were all armed now. Emily and Lizavet held a sword in each of their hands, Shorty had one, and Indy held another. Six swords, four impromptu warriors.

"See?" Indy offered. "At least one of my kids listens!"

Emily took the swords to face the apkallu. "I wouldn't say we don't listen, Dad. I would just say we choose to listen ...poorly."