Chapter 216: Flashback: Archaeological Site Egypt, Along the Red Sea, 1947

Flashback:

Archaeological Site

Egypt,

Along the Red Sea

1947

"MARION!" Indy yelled. "We're at the top of the obelisk."

Marion stood on the cliffside, Indy's gun belt buckled around her waist, hubby's whip in one hand, the coiled rope attached to the fallen column in the other. Behind her the lantern had been angled to produce a meager beam of light.

She looked at the whip, then squared her shoulders. "Dammit, Indy - so glad you taught me how to use this. But I was lighter... and two kids thinner then." She grinned, "At least your gunbelt fits." Then she threw the whip.

The leather snapped out, the crack echoing through the chamber, attaching to something hidden in darkness.

Marion swung out over the churning waters, throwing the rope around the top of the obelisk. Its end looped around the narrow obelisk top. She tightened it before the waves washed the rope away from the ancient stone.

The whip swung her back to the cliffside before she was ready. "Dammit," she hissed, testing the whip again and jumping off the cliff.

The whip's anchor held as Marion reached the other side of the ancient chamber.

The tension around the rope attached to the obelisk held.

She searched the ancient walls, keeping the handle of the whip in the crook of her elbow. "Its gotta be here somewhere," she muttered.

Her hand moved along the narrow ridges, smoothed by time. "They probably had scaffolding." Her boot tipped off the side, half the edge tumbling.

Her fingers found scaffolding holes.

She hung there, trying to catch her breath as she searched for footholds.

The whip danced away from her.

She grabbed it with one hand, daring to let go of her meager finger hold.

The leather creaked.

From somewhere above her she heard stone crumbling. The whip momentarily shifted.

"My anchor won't hold." Marion muttered. "And I need another hand. Why didn't I tie the whip around me?" She muttered. "Oh yeah - two kids width and the whip's gonna be too short to swing on. Indy needs a longer whip."

"MARION?" Indy yelled.

"I'm working on it, Jones!" She retorted back.