Episode 30: Grounded

EPISODE 30:
"GROUNDED"

RECAP

COLD OPEN

FADE IN

INT. THE WHITE ROOM

ANTHONY stands shackled and alone, his eyes heavy and burdened as a familiar monotonous voice fills the room.

SYSTEM
(O.S.)
MR. FERRA. YOU HAVE TURNED YOURSELF IN ON TWO COUNTS OF MURDER, AND ONE COUNT OF EXTRACTING A SOUL, AND EVEN PROVIDED VIDEO GRAPHIC EVIDENCE OF DOING SO. OUR FIRST QUESTION WE ASK, IS WHAT POSSESSED YOU IN COMMITTING THESE CRIMES TO BEGIN WITH?

ANTHONY
I had too.

SYSTEM
(O.S.)
EXPLAIN.

ANTHONY
I cannot explain. I can only express that I needed to do it.

SYSTEM
(O.S.)
THE PENALTY FOR SUCH CRIMES, INCLUDING THE MOST GRIEVOUS OF THEM ALL IN EXTRACTING THE SOULS, IS PERMANENT INCARCERATION OR EVEN...DEATH. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT IF YOU ARE FOUND TO BE GUILTY, AS YOU ARE SURELY TO BE, THESE ARE THE FATES THAT COULD AWAIT YOU. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

ANTHONY
Yes, I do.

SYSTEM
(O.S.)
YOUR TRIAL WILL BE HELD IN A FEW DAYS, FOR YOU HAVE CONFESSED TO YOUR GUILT, AND THE HEINOUS ACTS IN WHICH YOU HAVE CONFESSED ARE CONSIDERED TO BE THE MOST GRIEVOUS OF THEM ALL. PREPARE YOURSELF.

ANTHONY stares forward, a tear falling from his eyes as she does.

FADE OUT

OPENING CREDITS

FADE IN

INT. HOSPITAL-AUSTIN'S ROOM

SHANE bites his thumb as he watches EMMA and NIKKI sitting next to AUSTIN as AUSTIN'S WOUNDS were healing but was still out.

SHANE
Anyone hear from CHARLES yet?

NIKKI
No, I haven't heard a thing.

SHANE
He must still be locked up. Goddamnit, CHARLES locked up and now ANTHONY...

EMMA
Their expediting his trail. He admitted to extracting a soul...the SYSTEM doesn't waste time when it comes to that matter, and because ANTHONY is so high profile...

SHANE
They're going to make an example out of him.

NIKKI
What are we going to do?

SHANE
I have a shift I have to work for BRUTUS, if I don't I'm liable to get shit canned. If you guys hear from CHARLES about anything, you let me know.

EMMA
Yeah, we will.

SHANE
Call me if anything changes here too, okay?

NIKKI
SHANE, we'll keep you updated.

SHANE nods as he pats the door and looks at AUSTIN once over before he leaves the room.

INT. HOSPITAL-HALLWAY

SHANE heads towards the ELEVATOR as it opens up and MEL comes out and towards him, SHANE stops as MEL comes over and looks him over with a concerned look.

MEL
I'm so sorry.

SHANE
Thanks, MEL.

MEL
ANTHONY...now AUSTIN. It's a mess.

SHANE
Yeah, a little bit. Look I gotta run, but...

MEL
No, no It's okay, I'm gonna stay, see what I can do for him.

SHANE
Thank you.

MEL
You're welcome.

MEL pats him on the shoulder and then walks around him, heading towards the room as SHANE gets into the ELEVATOR.