CHAPTER EIGHT--- ALL NIGHT IN THE DARKNESS

River stepped towards the window of their bunkhouse and gazed out to the dark surrounding the village. You can't make out which one is the lawn or stream without light from the lanterns or torches. The doors of the shed and bunkhouse are normally closed 24/7. The villagers like to close their doors because the wild boar often attacks the village unnoticed. The trap seems useless for such creatures.

"You know she's gone, right?" Nanny Roe asked from the back. River turned around and saw Nona sitting weakly in the dining chair. The dim light from the candle on the tables was the only light River had lit inside their bunkhouse.

She made her way back across to the dining table and sat there, facing her grandmother. "She told me a month ago, but I never think she's serious all about it," River answered with her small voice. "Why does she have to go?" River asked Nanny Roe, who sat silently in her chair. Her face looks calm, despite a few lines of wrinkles.

"The world cannot hold us all, River. Humans have always had their eyes on us. Their real intentions are to catch us alive and put us inside the big tank for millions to see. To make the myth and legend come true! If we were discovered, our race would have no hope of surviving anymore. It'll be the end of us merpeople," Nanny Roe said, as River sat quietly, listening to her grandmother's story.

 It'll be the end of us merpeople," Nanny Roe said, as River sat quietly, listening to her grandmother's story

"There was a time when we were friends with humans." Nanny Roe, said with a heavy voice as she leaned on the chair. "We learned each other's secrets and swore to protect one another. We share our magic and treasure with them. Give them access to cross the ocean without harm. We're giving them an easy passage to almost anywhere in the world, as long as they use the seas and oceans to cross." She said, looking a bit melancholy as she tried to reminisce about her memories again.

"We've waited patiently and stayed loyal to humans. Remain silent at the bottom of the sea floor while they poison our ocean. Now, if we wait again, we may not have the strength to protect ourselves anymore. Our world is now divided, and we have become a target for humans. You see River- if humans catch one of the merpeople and learn her or his secret, they will live as kings in the land. Their wealth is enough for tenth generations and they'll never get starve,"

River pursed her lips together. playing with the ends of her clothes. "There is something I wish to talk about with you and let you see the secret of our people for the first time." Her words made River lift her head. Her grandmother always made sure she wasn't attached to their real lives, as she wanted River to be free from the burden of their people. "Esme had made her choice, and I hope you also think about what you want and desire most in life. You'll see, what I mean later," Nanny Roe assured River. She held River's hand tight.

"We are sea people, the precious fish that humans desire to catch. The ocean and the seas are our sacred playgrounds and homes. The waves will always bring us excitement, and the fish will be just as friendly as they always are. We need to close the door forever. No more border!" Nanny Roe said in a sure voice as she stood looking far ahead toward the black surroundings.