CHAPTER FIVE --- RIVER RUE

Most of the villagers are still in their deep slumber, away from the early night, but River's already awake and has made her way out into the darkness. Esme must be already at the cave entrance muttering the same chant she did every single full moon. The moonlit only stays for twelve or ten hours most of the time. The perfect round full moon only appears for two days each month, on the 14th and 15th.

Esme sits on one of the rocks inside the limestone caves. The crystalline stone with various shapes twinkled like a diamond and little stars when it hit the light torch. The Westwood is still silent. No hooting sound from the owls. No animal sounds from the forest even the tides from the ocean are calm tonight. If it were a day in Westwood, it would be 6:00 am sharp in the morning.

As sea voyagers, the man who fishes in the deep ocean, mostly do their trade on the mainland once or twice every month

As sea voyagers, the man who fishes in the deep ocean, mostly do their trade on the mainland once or twice every month. And that was on the 14th and 15th days of the month when the moon lit up high in the skies. when the gate at the Monochrome Borderline was opened by the sea guards. They mostly come back with new things from the mainland. Trading rare meat, fish, and pearls with foods, clothes, daily essentials, beverages, mechanical appliances that only use a battery, and even a magazine and newspapers, keeps them updated on what happens in the outside world.

There is no electricity on the island. the villagers prepare to go with a lantern and torch as they don't want to interrupt Mother Nature. The battery is used for a radio, a clock, and a flashlight. No more than that. All the things they need to survive are here, on the islands.

"Riv, have you ever thought of going to the mainland?" Esme asked as both young women walked side by side to the beach. Sitting on the white sands, looking at the dark wide ocean every single night, wondering.

River nods "I did. Every time the full moon comes, I always have a thought of going to the mainland. Seeing the big city with my own eyes, and buying some jewelry and new clothes... books. Lots of books!" River answered with a vibrant face. She always loves to read. She gains more knowledge about the outside world by studying and reading. The words are fascinating. And the adventure is surreal. Love, hate, envy, and crime. Fantasy and myth combine, making everything feel real in books.

"But I'll never dare to break the rule, Esme. Our world is enough for me. What about you?" Esme sighs. She folds enough sand in her hand, making it almost round before throwing it into the sea.

"I've dreamed of living there, Riv. don't tell Nona, of course. It's our secret!" Esme said, lying on the sand. Folding both her arms and resting her head on them. Looking up at the dark skies with a dreamy face.

"Ever dream of your ideal man?" River shakes her head slowly. "I did! I want to look for him on the mainland. He probably looking for me there, waiting to get reunited!" from the way Esme said, River suspected, she did use the clear mirror to scry the man she wanted.

"You use the clear mirror, that Nona buries deep in the mangrove?" Esme tilts her head. Silent for a while before replying yes to River's question. "But why?" she then sat back, brushing the sand off her arms with both hands.

Esme chews her lips and says "I'm sick and tired of living in the darkness for my whole life, River! There's no life here. Look around us. There's no skyscraper, no entertainment, no playground, no proper school, and the food - Uwek, I can't even swallow it anymore" she said with disgust.

"We're in our twenties, Riv. It's time to build a family and marry a man we love. Have kids! We are the last of the sea voyagers. Our number can be counted with fingers now. Lyra, Ellora, Sazy, and Milo already had their own family. We only two who are still single here" River didn't agree with her sister.

"Even if we're married now, the chance for us to get pregnant is slim, Esme. They've been married for years but still can't conceive. Yes, our number can count by fingers but it is what it is. We can't undo the curse. Only great-great-grandmother can reverse it!" River said with annoyance in her voice.

"Our race has almost gone. Whose fault is that? For every mistake we make, we blame the mainland people! But it's our fault, Esme. Falling in love with the mainland people, dying to live as one of them, and forgetting that we can never be one of them. Never!" Esme let out a heavy sigh.

"River Rue, don't go overboard with your words sister!" Esme spat in anger. "There's no wrong to fall in love with a different race! Love is blind. It doesn't have language, barrier, or skin color... Whether we are sky people, sea people, or mainland people, we're all the same! Great-great-grandmother is selfish! She never thinks of sea voyagers people, she's just thinking of herself!" River takes a deep breath, calming herself down. She hates it when they start arguing about something as clear as the rules.

"Nona already tell us the tale, Esme. Uncle Uri was left by his wife to die in misery. If the mainland people are honest and sincere to love us the sea voyagers, great-great-grandmother will never put a such curse upon us!" River said in a calm voice. If Esme has gone, the oracle and the healer will be only Nanny Roe. Nanny Roe is old already, she can't perform the hard task anymore. Esme is her apprentice, the villagers need her.

"Think what you want to think, Riv. Next full moon, when the gate is open, I'll go to the mainland. We'll see if you're right or I am wrong!" Esme stands up and walks away from the beach.

 We'll see if you're right or I am wrong!" Esme stands up and walks away from the beach

River just looked at her sister back until she was gone near the bunches of coconut trees that stood tall across the beach. What is so great about the mainland, anyway? Why is the woman from Westwood dying to fall in love with a man from the mainland? And the man, although they stay loyal to Westwood woman, they also got themselves a girl on the mainland. In every port they've been, there is always one to go.

p/s; the first image is from THE USERNAME/PAGE---ThetaCrused. The second is from THE USERNAME/PAGE--- petapixel.com and the third is from THE USERNAME/PAGE--- Corinne Guében