Chapter 45

"If it's real, it will never be over." 

Sitting nervously at her desk, quill clenched tightly in her hand, Victoria awaited the proctor's signal to begin the exam. Hours of diligent preparation, countless study sessions with Lily, all leading up to this moment.

As the moment of truth drew near, an unsettling feeling crept over Victoria. Despite her thorough preparation, doubts lingered in the recesses of her mind. She longed for perfection in every subject, unlike her brother James, whose effortless charm seemed to carry him through any challenge. For Victoria, excelling in academics was her sole means of proving her worth.

When the proctor finally signaled the start of the exam, Victoria's competitive nature kicked in. With a determined resolve, she took a deep breath and focused her attention solely on the questions before her.

Hours passed in a blur as Victoria answered each question, her mind racing to recall every detail she had studied. When she reached the final question, a wave of relief washed over her. Though she felt a sense of accomplishment, a nagging feeling remained that she could have performed even better.

As the proctor called an end to the exam, Victoria gathered her belongings, her mind already racing with thoughts on how she did. 

***

As the end of their fifth year approached, Victoria found herself in her dormitory, packing her belongings. Determination surged within her; she was eager to spend the summer honing her Quidditch skills, with the goal of earning a spot on the team when she returned for her sixth year. She had begun to think about the benefits she could get from joining the team. 

"Are you looking forward to going home?" Pandora inquired, occupied with her own packing.

"Sort of," Victoria replied, her voice tinged with a mix of anticipation and determination. "I plan to try my hand at Quidditch."

Their conversation flowed for a while until there was nothing more to say. As Victoria made to leave, she inadvertently stepped on something. Shifting her foot, she noticed a locket she had once bought for Emerson during their friendship's early days—a sentimental gesture that now felt distant and awkward.

Shoving the locket aside, Victoria hugged Pandora before setting off. On her way to the Gryffindor common room, she spotted Barty lounging on the sofa, seemingly waiting for someone. Deciding to ignore him, she continued on her way.

She waited patiently while swaying back and forth. Her patience did start get get wary since James took longer than expected. "Finally, what took you so long?" she remarked as the door swung open.

To her surprise, it wasn't James who stood before her but Marlene McKinnion. Victoria glanced up, an embarrased expression on her face. "Um, not long, but I do like to make an entrance," Marlene replied with a smug grin, her voice laced with amusement.

Victoria blinked in surprise, caught off guard by Marlene's unexpected presence. She couldn't help but feel a rush of embarrassment at her assumption.

"Oh, uh, sorry. I thought you were my brother," Victoria stammered shaking her head, trying to recover from her initial confusion.

Marlene chuckled softly, her eyes twinkling mischievously. "No worries," she waved it off, she leaned against the doorframe, "I can see the resemblance," she said with a teasing grin.

Feeling her cheeks flush with heat, Victoria shifted on her feet. 

"So, what's a Ravenclaw like you doing waiting around here?" Marlene asked with amusement. 

For some reason, Victoria's mind raced struggling to come up with a response. "Um, just waiting for James. We usually head to the train together," she explained, hoping her awkwardness wasn't too obvious.