Chapter 15

As Victoria dashed down the stairs, attempting to escape from her brother's relentless questioning, James pursued her, insisting innocently, "I'm not bothering you! I just want to know what Lilyflower said in her letter!"

Euphemia emerged from the kitchen, a knowing sigh escaping her lips. They were home again, and with it came the familiar sibling squabbles.

"It's none of your concern, James," Victoria retorted, her frustration evident as she turned away from him.

James, unsatisfied, pressed on, his tone laced with playful arrogance. "But it is my concern! After all, she's my future wife," he declared, prodding his sister's shoulder in an attempt to regain her attention. Unbeknownst to them, Sirius observed the exchange with an amused grin.

Victoria scoffed at her brother's claim. "Your 'charms' won't get you far with Lily," she shot back.

Sensing the need to diffuse the tension, Euphemia interjected gently, "Dinner's nearly ready. Can we save this for later, please?"

Reluctantly agreeing, Victoria shot one final request over her shoulder as she retreated up the stairs. "Fine, but tell James to stay out of my room!"

With his sister out of sight, James turned to Sirius, a grin spreading across his face. "See, Mum? I'm a miracle to deal with compared to her," he remarked, motioning for Sirius to follow him as they headed toward the dining room. Euphemia watched them go with a fond smile, reaffirming in her heart that Sirius was as much a part of their family as any blood relative.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

Emerson's plea hung in the air, and Regulus couldn't help but feel torn. On one hand, he dreaded the idea of stepping into the unknown territory of the Muggle world, a place he had only heard about in passing conversations and read about in textbooks. Yet, the thought of being left alone at home while Emerson ventured off filled him with a sense of unease.

"I just don't know, Em," Regulus replied, his voice tinged with uncertainty. "What if I embarrass myself? What if I say or do something wrong?"

Emerson reached out, placing a reassuring hand on her brother's shoulder. "Reg, if I'm there trust me when I say you won't be the one to embarrass yourself. And besides, Victoria and Marco are some of the kindest people I know."

Regulus mulled over her words, weighing the pros and cons in his mind. Finally, after a moment of silence, he sighed and relented. "Fine, I'll go with you. But only because I don't want you to worry about me being alone."

A smile spread across Emerson's face as she pulled her brother into a tight hug. "Thank you, Reg. You won't regret it, I promise."

With a newfound sense of determination, Regulus began to prepare himself mentally for the adventure that awaited him in the Muggle world. Though he couldn't shake off all his apprehensions, he knew that with Emerson by his side, he could face anything that came their way.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

As Victoria hastily retreated to the kitchen, her frustration with James boiling over. James could be a handful at times, but Victoria's sharp tongue didn't always help matters.

"James, do try to be more understanding," Euphemia admonished gently, casting a pointed look in her son's direction.

"But Mum, she started it!" James protested, still fussing over his soup-drenched hair.

Euphemia shook her head, her patience wearing thin. "That may be, but there's no need to escalate the situation. Apologize to your sister, James."

Reluctantly, James turned to face Sirius, who had been silently observing the scene unfold. "Sirius, you saw what happened, right? Tell Mum I shouldn't have to apologize!"