Chapter 14: Slasher and Smasher

Start from the beginning

"How to make people forget their memories?"

"No."

Rowena cursed. "Then what will you teach me?"

"He's going to teach you how to persuade people," Poppy told her.

"What? That's it? I already have a few books on persuasion. If the skills I learned from them don't work, I introduce them to my friends, Slasher and Smasher."

Cross narrowed his eyes. "Who are Slasher and Smasher?"

Rowena raised her hands into fists.

"Slasher," she said lifting her left fist. "Smasher." She lifted her right fist. "I just renamed them."

Poppy stifled a laugh. "Rowena, new vampires can't all use mind control but you do become strongly persuasive. It's possible to get people to do things for you they wouldn't normally do."

"That sounds dangerous," Matt said, giving Cross a worried look. "Our alpha can barely tell her no as it is."

Rowena grinned. Cross scowled.

"Let's try it. Liam, you're the beta. We won't try it on Cross since I agree. He has a tendency to indulge Rowena," Banks said.

"You say that like it's a bad thing," Cross pouted, plopping himself next to Selig.

"Selig. Matt. I'll need you to hold back your alpha," Banks warned them.

"They don't have to hold me back. I can control myself."

Selig rolled his eyes. "You got jealous of her book boyfriends."

"Do not mention book boyfriends in this room," Banks hissed. "Poppy, you're not allowed to have a book boyfriend."

"Neither are you, Rowena!" Cross snapped.

Rowena chuckled. Poppy must have mentioned a book boyfriend to the vampire king, making him jealous.

"Can we get back to the lesson?" Poppy asked. "Cross, your wolves will hold you back in case this upsets you. The last thing you would want is to hurt your beta."

"She won't be kissing him," Cross demanded. "Or touching him."

"Can I un-volunteer?" Liam asked with a gulp, his eyes on an already fuming Cross.

"No," Rowena answered. She turned to Banks. "Now, how do I mind control? I mean...persuade people to do my bidding?"

Banks smirked. "You have to stare deeply into the other person's eyes."

A steady growl from Cross filled the room.

"Imagine them doing your bidding," Banks continued, steadying his voice. "Lower the tone of your voice and start suggesting what you want them to do."

Rowena turned to Liam. "Look into my eyes, Liam."

Liam grimaced. "Do I have to?"

"Yes."

Liam huffed but did as he was told. Rowena gazed into his eyes and imagined him squawking like a chicken. She lowered her voice. "Liam, don't you want to squawk like a chicken?"

Liam frowned. "No, not really."

"Keep trying, Rowena," Banks ordered.

Rowena stepped closer. "You do. You want to flap your arms and squawk like a red and white chicken ready to lay eggs in the morning."

Liam rolled his eyes. "Rowena, I do not--"

"Like a red and white chicken, Liam," Rowena continued, staring into his eyes.

A loud squawking sound filled the air. Liam slapped his hands over his mouth.

"It worked!" Rowena shouted.

Banks gave her a half-hearted smile. "It started to but you didn't master the skill. Touch usually helps persuade others but I didn't want to risk it with him present."

Cross pushed Selig and Matt away. He stalked to Rowena and pulled her into his arms. "I'm not sure this is helpful."

Before Banks could respond, Abby entered the room holding a bag.

"Hi Abby," Rowena called out.

Abby's eyes darted around the room and she gave Rowena a slight nod before turning towards the hall leading to the bedrooms.

"Am I as fast and strong as a shifter now?" Rowena asked Banks.

"As a new vampire, you're a good match. Why?" The vampire king asked.

"Because I'm about to introduce her to Slasher and Smasher," Rowena muttered.

"Abby," Rowena yelled her friend's name.

Abby was standing behind the sofa. She ignored Rowena and the angry waves coming from her fellow pack mates.

Cross tightened his hold on Rowena. "Rowena, don't do something you'll--"

He didn't finish his sentence. Rowena broke free from his embrace, leaped over the sofa, and tackled Abby to the ground.

 Rowena broke free from his embrace, leaped over the sofa, and tackled Abby to the ground