Chapter 5: Kisses in the Rain

Rowena stared at the strawberry Jello sitting in front of her

Rowena stared at the strawberry Jello sitting in front of her. Marshmallows and chunks of pineapple jiggled inside the red treat as she moved the bowl away from her.

"Nope, not even the Jello I stole from the nursing home is cheering me up right now," Rowena admitted.

"You stole Jello from old people?" Matt asked, aghast.

Rowena shrugged. "It belonged to Jasmine and she's dead. It's not like she was going to eat it, Matt."

"That's kind of morbid," Liam muttered, staring at the dessert.

"No, it's called not wasting food. Besides, this whole afternoon stressed me out. I need sugar in my system."

Cross sat across from her, his arms crossed against his chest. They were in his dining room. "Rowena, do you really think your grandmother killed that woman?"

She shook her head. "My abuela would never commit murder." She sighed. "Not that I can trust my judgment. Cross, she has a posse of women named Rosita and Rose. Dr. Do Me said they were the called the deadly roses and bullied the other residents. It's like she has a secret life I never knew about."

Cross jerked back. " Doctor who?"

Matt snickered. "His name is Dr. Domé."

"How do you know?" Cross asked suspiciously.

"He's the person Hector wanted intel on," Rowena admitted.  "I asked Matt to look into him."

"There wasn't much in his background check," Matt said. "The man hasn't even had a speeding ticket. The only scandalous thing I found is that he's currently having an affair with his boss, Pamela Wells."

"What information did Hector need on him?" Cross asked.

"Daily habits," Rowena answered. "I figured it wouldn't hurt for Matt to do a background check."

"You asked my head enforcer to do a background check for Hector, the lion shifter who wants to date you?"

Rowena nodded. "What's yours is mine. Matt is at your disposal which means he's at my disposal too."

Matt chuckled at the perplexed expression on his alpha's face. "She's the future Luna. I didn't think you'd want me to turn her down."

Cross tilted his head to one side. "If what's mine is yours, does that mean what's yours is mine, Rowena?"

"I don't have anything except a cat and debt....so, sure. That works for me." Rowena grinned.

Abby snickered. She pulled the Jello toward her, saying, "I've never had Jello before."

Rowena's eyes widened. "Not once?"

Abby shook her head.

"Me either," Matt chimed in. "I only like healthy food."