Chapter 6: Selig's Curse

Who knew people could fight over a game of pinochle?

Rowena sat with the deadly rose trio in the Happy Trails Nursing home's cafeteria. Rosa, her abuela, appeared distracted as she lost to the other residents time after time.

"Rosa, what's going on with you?" Rosita asked. "You never lose at pinochle."

Rosa shrugged.

"Is it because you're the prime suspect in Jasmine's death?" Rose asked. She made a scoffing sound. "You have nothing to worry about. They don't throw old ladies in the slammer."

Rowena rolled her eyes. "That's not true, Rose."

The older woman scowled. "Back in my day, ladies didn't associate with hookers during the day."

Rowena shook her head. "I already told you, Rose. I'm not a hooker."

She looked at her abuela, who didn't seem to be paying attention. "Abuela, are you really worried you'll be framed for Jasmine's death? I told you I have an attorney who is going to help you. He's never lost a case."

Rosa stared at the deck of cards in her hands.

"Besides, Donnie is a horrible homicide detective. I pretty much had to solve his last case." Rowena frowned. "Okay, technically that isn't true but it's not like he solved it either."

Rosa still didn't respond.

"We've never seen her like this," Rosita mumbled. Her eyes widened and she smiled at Rowena. "Maybe you could figure out who really killed Jasmine?"

"Me?" Rowena pointed to herself. She thought of the conversation she had with Cross the day prior. A heavy feeling filled her heart. "Okay, I can do that. I need the distraction."

Rose tossed her hand of cards on the table. "Rosa, why are you so sad? You hated Jasmine."

Rosa's shoulders fell. "I said such horrible things to her that day and then someone killed her."

"Cheer up, Abuela. Based on what you ladies told me, you probably weren't the only one who said horrible things to her the day she died," Rowena said, patting her grandmother's shoulder.

"If you can get the hooker to find the real murderer, it'll be your way of apologizing to Jasmine," Rose said.

"I'm not a hooker, Rose."

"Dont worry, I'm not the PoPo." Rose grinned, holding her bony hands up in front of her.

Rosa turned her head to stare at Rowena.

"What?" Rowena asked, fidgeting under her grandmother's eyes.

"Qué pasó? What happened?"

Rowena looked away.

Rosa pressed the issue. "Look at me, Rowena. Something happened. Rose called you a hooker. Normally, you would've hurt someone for that."

Rowena shrugged. "Maybe my anger management classes are finally kicking in."