Chapter 7: Out of Body Times

Rowena believed in ghosts

Rowena believed in ghosts. And karma. And the chupacabra. So, it shouldn't have been a surprise to find herself floating above her limp body--but it was. She thought about the Jello she'd eaten at the nursing home. Did someone slip some drugs in it and this was some sort of drug-induced fantasy?

It wouldn't have been the first time.

Below her, Abby cried beside her bed, clutching her hands. Winona and Bruce stood to the side, their faces etched in worry. Rowena's cat, Kitty, sat next to Rowena on the bed, digging her claws in the comforter.

Selig's hands were in his hair as he paced behind Abby, muttering something about him "not being worth the sacrifice."

A cloak of unease weighed her down as she recalled being in the car with Selig. His sadness bothered her in a way she couldn't disregard. Up until Cross coming into her life, she'd never known acceptance. Loneliness was her only companion. She understood Selig's frustration and sadness so well it felt like her own-- his bitterness so potent she could still taste it.

He'd been cursed and she wanted to fix it. She knew it would sacrifice a bit of her soul, but she hadn't known it would lead to this.

The door bounced against the wall as Cross barged in, his eyes bleak with pain. Liam and Matt stood behind him.

Rowena grimaced and placed a hand to her chest. She hadn't thought about Cross when she helped his brother.

"Baby," Cross' voice cracked as his knees buckled and he took Abby's place. He kissed her hands and sucked in a shaky breath of air. "What were you thinking?"

"I'm sorry, Cross," Selig said softly. "I told her not to but--"

A growl filled the air and Cross leaped toward his brother shoving him against the wall. Selig bared his neck as his brother, his alpha, snarled at him.

"This is your fault," Cross hissed, fur lining his forearms.

Winona and Bruce rushed forward, begging him to let Selig go.

Selig didn't argue with his brother. Instead he nodded. "I'm sorry, Cross."

"Sorry won't bring her back!" Cross yelled.

"Let him go, Cross!" Abby cried. "Ro would have your ass in a sling if she knew you hurt Selig after she hexed him to help him!"

"Ass in a sling?" Rowena wondered aloud. "Sounds interesting."

"Rowena must've really wanted to help Selig to make such a sacrifice," Matt said. "She's going to be a fine Luna one day."

"Right," Liam agreed. "We just need to figure out how to save her."

"And we will," Abby said, her voice growing stronger. She wiped the tears from her face. "Attacking Selig isn't going to help. We need to focus on solutions."