Chapter 9: Feed Me

"So, do you sleep in a casket?" Rowena asked Banks

"So, do you sleep in a casket?" Rowena asked Banks. "I'm not sleeping in a casket...again."

"Again?" Abby asked in a strained voice. "You've slept in a casket before?"

Rowena turned her brown eyes onto her friend. "You haven't?"

"I have," Banks said, frowning at the hissing cat sitting on Rowena's lap.

"Me too," Poppy added, staring intently at her cell phone.

"How have you managed to keep a cat on the alpha's property? Surely, she cannot be safe amongst a pack of wolves," the vampire king commented.

Abby's eyes darted from the vampire couple to Rowena. "Okay, vampires sleeping in caskets is normal. Rowena, you just became a vampire. Why would you have slept in a casket?"

Rowena sighed. "Abby, it's not that big of a deal. Besides, it wasn't as if I was alone. My tia Lala was there too."

Abby's lips pursed in thought. "I haven't heard you mention an aunt named Lala before."

Rowena shrugged. "She doesn't come up much in conversation."

"Why not?" Abby asked.

"She's dead. Why else would she have been in the coffin?

Abby made a choking sound. "How did you end up in a coffin with your dead aunt?"

Rowena shrugged. "It's a long story but let's just say never play hide and seek in a mortuary."

Banks chuckled, grinning at Rowena. "Oh, I'm going to like you being part of our coven."

"I found a mansion we can rent in Clarkton," Poppy told her husband, holding up her phone. "We'll be able to keep an eye on Rowena while she's learning the ropes."

"You can't just stay here?" Rowena asked.

Banks grimaced.

Poppy answered for him. "Master vampires like Banks can't sleep on property they aren't the master of. This is pack territory."

"So, I can't sleep here either?" Rowena asked.

At that moment, Cross entered the room. "What's happening? What do you mean you can't sleep here?"

"You aren't a master vampire," Poppy informed Rowena.

"Baby, why are you trying to sleep somewhere else? Your place is by me," Cross placed his hands on her shoulders. "You said you understood why we had Banks turn you."

"No, I said you need to understand I'll pay you back for making a life-changing decision for me without my permission. I see no perks to being a vampire."

"You're alive," Banks drawled.

"By being dead," Rowena reminded him.

"Well, if you're going to be technical about things," Banks muttered.