Chapter 11: Suspects and Friends

Rowena stuffed a few paperbacks in her tote bag as Cross stood behind her, his hand against her lower back

"You're taking romance novels to read at the nursing home?" Cross asked.

Rowena's brows rose. "Yeah. I promised a to read to them today during storytime."

Cross stared at one of the novels poking out of her bag. "Do you really think reading them The Wolf's Secretary Wants a Baby is a good idea?"

Rowena frowned as she pulled out a second book and showed it to Cross. The title, The Millionaire Alien Needs a Wife for Hire, caused him to take a step back.

"Do you think they'll like sci-fi more?" Rowena asked.

"Are books about aliens ordering brides by mail considered science fiction?"

Rowena nodded. "If it happens in space, it makes it science fiction. I think that's a rule. I thought about reading them a true crime book, but I didn't want to appear insensitive. I also didn't want to give them any more ideas. It's not like they caught Jasmine's murderer yet."

"So, you thought smutty romance books would be better?" Cross asked skeptically.

Rowena nodded. "They'll love these books. Gina picked them out for our book club and since she's out of town, I need someone to read them with." She picked up her sunglasses and perched them on her nose.

"Are you doing okay?" Cross asked. "Banks said you'll eventually be okay without the sunglasses."

"I'm okay with people giving me odd looks. I just need a ride to the nursing home."

"Baby, you know I'll--"

The door to the bedroom burst open. Matt, Selig, Liam, and Abby burst forward.

"Cross, we have a problem!" Selig shouted. "We spotted some rogue wolves at the diner. One of them almost shifted in front of some humans passing through town."

Rowena noticed Abby hanging back in the doorway.

"We've detained them," Matt said. "But they want to speak with the alpha. They had some news for you."

Cross cursed under his breath. "Fine, but I need to drop Rowena off at the nursing home."

Selig shook his head. "Abby can take her."

Rowena's eyes drifted to Abby, who'd taken another step back with a frown on her face.

"I don't have gas in my car," Abby said.

A growling sound came from Cross. Rowena patted his chest with one hand. "Don't get angry. I can ask Poppy to take me. She's learning to drive."

"No way! Only an experienced driver is allowed to chauffeur you," Cross argued.

Liam stepped forward. "I'll drive her and be back as soon as possible."

Rowena watch Abby slink away. She took a step forward but changed her mind, lifting her sunglasses to sit over her head.