Chaper 10: Hector's Warning

"Lose the sunglasses, Flores

"Lose the sunglasses, Flores." Rolando Sanchez, Rowena's boss and the manager of Sweeter Homes, hissed as he stood near her register.

"I think they look good, man," Rowena's customer, Rizzoli, a middle-aged man and regular shopper of the home goods store said. He smelled like day-old weed and always bought salad tongs but Rowena figured he just really liked salad.

Rolando stretched his mouth into a crooked smile.

Rizzoli placed a pair of bright blue tongs on the checkout counter. "Makes her look like a secret agent. I never bought tongs from a secret agent, man."

Rowena grinned, picking up the kitchen utensil and scanning it. "Rizzoli, do you really need this many pairs of tongs? You buy some each time you come in."

"Well, yeah, man. They're disposable tongs. I have to throw them after I use them," Rizzoli explained, lifting his brows as if she was a young child.

Rowena lifted the tongs. "Rizzoli, these *aren't* disposable. You just need to wash them and you can use them again. I don't think disposable tongs exist."

Rizzoli stared at her, his mouth open, before making a wheezing sound. "See? So smart! No wonder you're a secret agent, man!"

"She isn't a secret agent," Rolando muttered.

"Well, she can't admit it out loud, man," Rizzoli argued. He turned to Rowena. "Are you a secret agent?"

She nodded while answering, "No."

He clapped his hands and cackled. "I knew it! This place is so rad, man. Secret agents sell you salad tongs and ice scream scoopers."

"That's not all. I once solved a murder," Rowena whispered.

Rizzoli gaped at her. "Can I have your autograph, man?"

After he paid for his purchased and assured Rowena he would be back, Rizzoli turned to Rolando and said, "Don't be such a downer, man."

"I'm not a downer! I'm an upper!" Rolando argued.

Rizzoli shook his head and walked away.

"Rowena!" Rolando whisper-yelled. "Stop letting customers think you're a spy and I'm a downer. What does that even mean? That I'm some kind of drug? Like an aphrodisiac?"

"Gross, no way," Rowena disagreed.

"Whatever, take those sunglasses off."

"Rolando, I tried calling in sick today. You said no. My eyes are very sensitive right now so the glasses need to stay."

Rolando huffed. "Telling me you almost died and got bit by a vampire isn't a valid excuse to call in sick, Flores."

"Well, you wanted me to come in. I came in. If you want me to leave, I can do that but I can't take off my sunglasses."