Chapter 4: Christmas Cabbage

Clarkton homicide detective Donnie Valdez stood in the middle of the Happy Trails Nursing home's cafeteria

Clarkton homicide detective Donnie Valdez stood in the middle of the Happy Trails Nursing home's cafeteria. The smell of liver and onions  lingered in the air while he avoided Rowena and Rosa's hateful expressions. Lorena, Rowena's cousin, divorced Donnie after he cheated on her with a 911 operator.

"Let me get this straight," Donnie said, scratching the back of his neck with a ballpoint pen. "Rosa Flores--"

"Do not speak my name!" Rosa spat in her accented voice before mumbling insults towards Donnie in Spanish.

Rowena chuckled.

Donnie cleared his throat. "The woman wearing a Mexican dress," he pointed to Rosa, "threatened to kill the victim, Jasmine Smith, after she slept with a Nicholas Doorman? Is Mr. Doorman around?"

Dr. Domé jerked his head to Nicholas. "That's him. But before you question him, you should know he thinks he's Santa Claus."

"As in the fat guy who breaks into people's homes and leaves kids heads of cabbage?" Rowena asked.

Rosa sighed and looked to the floor, shaking her head.

Donnie's brows rose in confusion. "Cabbage? Santa only ever left you cabbage for Christmas?"

Rowena shrugged. "Every year that's all I got as a kid."

Everyone turned to her with shocked expressions.

Rowena looked around the room. "What? Did I say something weird?"

"Santa normally brings toys," Donnie said.

"Only adults got good stuff like toys," Rowena scoffed. "Everyone knows if you're a kid, he brings heads of cabbage and if you're really good, you get some baby carrots in a stocking."

Rose nudged Rosita. "Did that hooker just say Santa brings adults sex toys?"

"Mi nieta is not a hooker!" Rosa hissed at Rose.

Holly, the pink-haired nurse, sighed. "I swear all these geezers are perverts. If it weren't for the restraining order, I'd be in a much better job."

Rowena nodded. "Yeah. Wait. What?"

Before Rowena could ask Holly what she meant, Dr. Domé handed Rowena a business card. "It sounds like you had an interesting childhood. We should talk sometime."

Donnie leaned toward Nicholas who still wore his Santa hat and Christmas sweater. A strand of green garland hung around his shoulders.

"Mr. Doorman?" Donnie called out.

Nicholas stared at a poster on how to stop someone from choking, ignoring Donnie.

Donnie tried again. "Mr. Doorman? Can you hear me, Mr. Doorman?"

Dr. Domé stepped forward. "Mr. Claus?"

Nicholas jerked his head up and said in a raspy voice, "Ho, ho, ho! Are there any hoes around?"