Chapter 13: Little Mikey's Rival

Rowena woke in the arms of Cross

Rowena woke in the arms of Cross. She turned her head to face him and he pulled her closer, a thin blanket wrapped around them.

"Get some more sleep, baby," he whispered.

"Wh-what happened? Where's Jeremiah?" Rowena asked.

A rumbling sound came from Cross before he sat up the sheet falling to his waist. He stretched his arms above his head before looking back down at her. "You don't remember what happened yesterday?"

She shook her head. "I remember Jeremiah and I were going to question Moises Brown, Jasmine's son. We went to his workplace."

"You don't remember beating up a group of loan sharks and then hexing Moises?" Cross asked.

She pouted. "I beat up loan sharks?"

"You did."

Rowena groaned. "I don't remember talking to Moises. What a waste!"

"You apparently hexed Moises which made you go blood crazy. Banks and Poppy brought you to me. Jeremiah is home, safe and sound. Banks erased his memory."

"Erased his memory? Is that a vampire thing? Do you think I can learn how to do that?"

"It is and let's not learn such a dangerous skill, alright?" He rubbed his neck, where a red mark blemished his skin.

Rowena grimaced. "I drank blood from you?"

Cross snickered. "Among other things." He leaned over and kissed her bare shoulder. "After drinking my blood and having your wicked way with me, you said a lot about what Moises told you."

Rowena's eyes widened. "What did I say?"

"That his girlfriend wanted him to kill his mother for her money. You said other things but I'm guessing that's what you want to know."

"I didn't say who his girlfriend was?" Rowena asked.

"Nope." Cross laid back next to her, placing his arm around her waist. "Do you need more blood, baby?"

Rowena shivered. "That sounds so weird."

"What? I like donating blood. It feels good and it seems to get you excited." Cross kissed her neck.

"You make me sound like a pervert with a blood fetish."

He laughed.

"I need to find out who Moises was dating if I want to prove he killed Jasmine and clear my abuela's name."

"I'm more worried about you," Cross admitted. "You're having to deal with being a vampire now. Banks said you'll have to go through vampire training."

"Vampire training?"

Cross nodded. "Poppy said it wouldn't be extensive but you'd have to make time for it."

"I wonder what vampire training consists of? Learning how to erase people's memories?" Rowena asked as Cross kissed his way to her chest.

A knock at the door interrupted them.

"Who is it?" Cross growled, lifting the sheet to cover Rowena.

"It's me," Liam called out. "I wanted to report  news on Moises Brown."

"Come in," Rowena said loudly, frowning at a scowling Cross.

"This is our sexy morning time. No one gets to interrupt that," Cross reminded her.

"What if he has news to help clear my abuela's name?" Rowena asked.

"Fine," Cross huffed.

Liam entered the room, covering his eyes with one hand. "I investigated, as you requested. Moises Brown spends his days in a gambling den disguised as a laundromat."

"I wonder if Little Mikey knows about the loan sharks," Rowena wondered aloud. "He didn't send them, did he?"

Liam shook his head. "Apparently, Little Mikey has a rival as the biggest criminal in Clarkton."

"He's been out of town with Gina," Rowena mumbled. "Who's this guy running an illegal gambling laundromat?"

"Josie Jones," Liam answered.

"A woman is in charge?" Cross asked.

"Or a man named Josie who was probably bullied as a kid," Rowena said.

"She's a woman," Liam answered. "She's known for having a harem of handsome men at her disposal. There are rumors Moises was one of her men."

"I thought you said she likes handsome men. Is she blind?" Rowena asked.

Liam cleared his throat. "Moises may have been an exception due to the money Jasmine had in her will."

"So, if we want to get close to her, we'll need some handsome men," Rowena said thoughtfully. She looked at Cross, narrowing her eyes. "You're not allowed to go undercover. That's what always happens in the books I read. The hot guy disguises himself and falls in love with the beautiful villain."

"I would never fall in love with someone else," Cross protested.

"Well, I'm not taking any chances. We need a hot guy to get close to her and I know just the man for the job."

Liam lowered his hand from his eyes. "You want me to go?"

Rowena scoffed. "No, I have someone else in mind. Someone who is handsome and good with women. He's a good friend and will totally help out. He's always a professional."

A growl erupted from Cross. "Don't you dare say his name, Rowena! Hector is not getting involved."

Rowena grinned. "Jeremiah!"

 "Jeremiah!"