Chapter 2: Punishment for incompetence is death.

Start from the beginning

I watched him from where I was parked across the street, binoculars in hand, as he exited his flat, a donut trapped between his teeth as he fought to pull on his windbreaker. I started up my car the moment he entered his vehicle and when he pulled out onto the street I wasn’t far behind him.

An hour later he pulled up outside what looked to be a deserted warehouse and got out of the vehicle. I pulled to a stop, far enough away that he wouldn’t suspect a thing but close enough that I didn’t have to use binoculars. I watched as he looked around, most likely to make sure no one had followed him.

As he approached the building I took a moment to look around and I had to wonder why my little rapist friend would find the need to visit a rundown place like this, with its dirty surroundings, graffiti covered walls and overall lugubrious atmosphere.

I glanced at my watch; just a little past 7pm; it couldn’t be anything good. He was more than a little jumpy and he kept looking around as if he expected somebody to jump out at him. I sat forward in my seat, eyes narrowed as I watched his progress.

Whatever it was that he was doing here clearly had him spooked and I knew that as risky as it might be, as soon as he entered the building as I suspected he would, I’d have to find a way in as well.

 I pulled my gun from the pouch, checked the clip then stuffed it into the waist band of my jeans. He walked up to the door in the centre and knocked exactly three times then waited. The door opened to a Caucasian male, muscular, heavily tattooed and bald.

He appeared to be carrying a firearm. This definitely wasn’t going to be a casual tea party out with friends. My target was involved in something big.

I shifted in my seat then leaned closer to the window, curiosity getting the better of me and what happened next would probably piss me off for the next century or two. Just as my target was about to set foot into the warehouse a familiar jeep drove right by me and pulled to a stop a few meters in front of my car, bringing it directly into the line of sight of the tattooed fellow and my target.

I watched in disbelief as my two bodyguards got out making their way over to my vehicle and my eyes flashed to the two men still frozen at the door watching what was taking place.

In the silence of the deserted street I heard the tattooed guy shout; “You brought the cops?” and then all hell broke loose. I watched in horror as my target backed up, hands raised as if in surrender, his face contorted in fear as the other guy raised his gun and shot him twice in the head. He went down like a log and then Mr. Tattoo turned and fired a few shots in my direction.

I saw one of my body guards go down after being hit in the leg. I didn’t even try to reach for my own weapon; I just dropped further into my seat keeping my head down as I tried to start up the vehicle. The window over on the passenger side of my car shattered against the spray of bullets, leaving me to assume that there was now more than one shooter.

Just as I started up the vehicle another window shattered and I put my hands up to shield my face as I felt the shards cutting into my skin. Jesus if I made it out of this alive I was going to kill somebody!

………………………………………….

~Adrian’s POV~

“You’re going soft Adrian.” My twin brother’s voice reverberated around the room and I would have rolled my eyes if I didn’t find the act so childish.

 Instead, I picked up the decanter and poured the scotch into both our glasses then picked them up before turning to face him.

“Yes Marcus you’ve mentioned that quite a few times already.” I said walking over to him and holding out the drink to him. He took it with a grunt and put it to his lips.