two

Atlas runs his hands down his  shirt just to smooth out the wrinkles and looks at the gold plate that displayed the Lieutenant's name

He takes a breath, knocks and enters moments later. "LionHart, great you're here! Have a seat." Atlas takes the seat in front of his desk and looks around the well decorated office space while the Lieutenant flips through the papers in front of him. "I'm going to need you to take a Psych evaluation."

Atlas looks at him with his thick brows raised. "For what?" To his knowledge he knew that a psych evaluation was only a requirement during training and if any of their men showed signs of psychological distress.

The Lieutenant sighs and leans forward, "That stunt you pulled on New Year's Eve, Escobar told you to back down and you refused orders. That's not like you." Atlas was one of his best men and for him to be new on the squad, he always followed the rules by the book yet that night on the ledge he had become a different person.

"The woman was about to jump! What did you want to do, Lieutenant?" There was no time for him to back down and let Escobar take over. If he did, they would've lost her.

"To follow orders. Not to mention, you knew the woman personally. That's conflict of interest so in that moment you should've backed down for the sake of your mental health and her safety!" Atlas chuckles and leans back in his seat, trying to control his sudden anger.

In his mind, if he would've backed down as requested and let her jump he'd be getting his head chewed off like he was now.

So either way, he would be in the wrong.

"I didn't know until I got up there. I saw an opportunity to save her so I did w-" He tries to explain himself but the Lieutenant waves his hand and cuts him off.

"You're compassionate, great. But when your compassion interferes with the well-being of yourself and others we have to step in. This is normal protocol. You witnessed a woman nearly take her life and it's my job to make sure that all of my men are strong minded when we arrive on a scene. You broke down and needed medical aid yourself! You should be fired  but Captain was able to pull some strings."

Atlas brows knit together at the word fired.

He had saved someone's life, the very thing he was taught to do only to be faced with the possibility of being let go.

"Are you trying to take disciplinary action because I helped a woman from jumping off a bridge, is that not what my job is .. to search and rescue?" He asks, genuinely curious.

He had already been out of work for a week due to the incident. Suggested to look into therapy and now was told to partake in a psychological evaluation. The Lieutenant sighs with a nod and looks down and the papers scattered along his desk. "It is but like I said," He pauses and looks at Atlas who displayed a look of utter confusion. "I need the strongest men on the squad out there on the front lines. You did a great job. I won't take that from you in fact, I'll applaud you." Atlas scoffs when the Lieutenant starts to clap. In that moment he felt like he was being sarcastic and making a joke out of a serious matter.