Yet, there were indeed rustling sounds coming from the darkness.

Tang Ning hesitated for a moment, looking around the cramped room. Everything was clearly visible in the small space, with no black hair rustling around, nor paper figures peeling off paper scraps. Was it just his imagination?

Tang Ning tightened his grip on the blood-stained handkerchief in his hand. He scanned the room and his wandering gaze suddenly fixed on the small window. It was deep into the night, with only dim lights illuminating the room, yet outside the window, there was a faint red glow flickering.

Tang Ning's pupils constricted as he saw a joss paper floating in the air, accompanied by a low crying sound seeping in through the window. Goosebumps covered half of Tang Ning's body—

What was this?!

Tang Ning stared fixedly outside the window. In the darkness, he vaguely saw another piece of joss paper floating up, this time only half of it.

The eerie red light spread along the window sill, and as the joss paper swayed in the air, it slowly drifted down. Tang Ning's heartstrings seemed to tremble along with it. He kept his eyes on the window while quickly checking his phone, only to find that there was no signal.

"Wu wu."

The joss paper floated up again, and the faint crying sound echoed, as if a cold wind was passing through the gap in the window, emitting a strange sound.

Tang Ning's heart was hanging high. He glanced back at the unconscious Ji Lianyun, hoping that Ji Lianyun would open his eyes in the next second. But the reality was, even if Tang Ning reached out to touch Ji Lianyun, there was still no response.

Ji Lianyun's unconsciousness offered no deterrent to the evil spirits. Tang Ning knew that he could only rely on himself now.

Stay calm.

He must stay calm.

In the world of cards, the terror of ghosts and monsters gradually escalated. Tang Ning had read on the forums that sometimes, a ghost would burn joss paper in front of a player. When all the joss paper was burnt, the ghost would suddenly take away the player's life. It turned out that the joss paper was the player's life fee.

If he just waited passively, when the crisis really came, he would only meet his doom. Thinking of this, Tang Ning gritted his teeth and stood up. He was wearing a red wedding dress now, which could withstand several attacks from ordinary ghosts. If things went wrong, he could carry Ji Lianyun and rush out, meeting up with other players at the spiritual hall.

It's okay, don't be afraid.

Tang Ning held his breath and walked step by step towards the window. The closer he got, the clearer the crying sound became, eerie and hoarse. Tang Ning's heart pounded heavily, and he broke out in a cold sweat while clutching the blood-stained handkerchief.

He tiptoed to the corner of the wall, feeling a chill creeping up from the soles of his feet. The disturbing crying sound from outside the window continued intermittently. Tang Ning could hardly breathe; he almost wanted to turn around and run, curling up beside Ji Lianyun without caring about anything else.

Stay calm, stay calm. You're already standing by the window!

With a determined heart, Tang Ning restrained the urge to flee and looked directly outside the window—

He saw an old lady with gray hair squatting in front of a brazier. She was dressed in tattered clothes, crying while burning joss paper.

As if sensing something, the old lady suddenly raised her head, locking eyes with Tang Ning through the window.